SUPER BOWL

Sports, Sports, and more Sports

SUPER BOWL

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:30 pm

The day has finally arrived - crazy timing on the announcement of Matty Ice as league MVP. Has it always been the night before the Super Bowl? Well deserved by the greatest football player on the planet at the moment - they just need one more good game to bring this one home.

I will be Ubering over to a party with a hot tub, big screen and projector along with 2 40" TVs mounted on each side, lots of shenanigans and hopefully, celebratory champagne!

#RISEUP!
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Re: SUPER BOWL

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm pretty sure they've been announcing the MVP that way for a while. Not sure when it started, but I'm damn glad they picked the right guy.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Love the running game so far.

7-0 Birds!!
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 pm

What a throw.

14-0
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Ridge Runner » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Wow 21-0 after the pick 6. Birds playing like champs.
Ridge Runner
Rookie

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:04 pm

21-3 at the half. Seems like forever since the Falcons have had the ball, but they do get it to start the second half.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Holy Crap!!!

28-3 now!!
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Oh shit...here they come.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:32 pm

And there they went.

Stupid OT rule rears its head again. Each team should have a chance to possess the ball. I've said it for years.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:25 pm

elprof wrote:And there they went.

Stupid OT rule rears its head again. Each team should have a chance to possess the ball. I've said it for years.

Yep. I've been saying it as well even with no dog in the fight.

That said, we would have eeked out a victory if we had just run the ball after that amazing Julio catch and gotten a field goal.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:57 pm

so who do you hang this one on? seems like most people are saying that the offensive play calling late in the game should be blamed - running the ball would have at least killed clock if not setup a FG but instead they were throwing, snapping the ball with 10 seconds or more on the clock and allowing for sacks.

or is it the O-line that had untimely penalties and gave up sacks? Or the defense who were gassed and gashed by the Patriots late in the game?

Jesus what a tough game to lose.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:so who do you hang this one on? seems like most people are saying that the offensive play calling late in the game should be blamed - running the ball would have at least killed clock if not setup a FG but instead they were throwing, snapping the ball with 10 seconds or more on the clock and allowing for sacks.

or is it the O-line that had untimely penalties and gave up sacks? Or the defense who were gassed and gashed by the Patriots late in the game?

Jesus what a tough game to lose.

I hang it on the offensive play calling. That is the variable that could be most closely controlled. You get the ball at NE's 22 and you run it 3 fucking times and run it almost to the 2 minute warning or make them burn all of their timeouts and build a firewall of a lead. Not to mention, the defense was gassed. You give them some more time to rest as well.

Now the dumb challenge by Quinn was dumb, but somewhat understandable. And Weems taking the ball out of the end zone was also dumb, but a teeny bit understandable in that he was trying to make a play.

Last night I was numb. Today I'm fucking pissed.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Even with the play calling they still had a good shot at the FG until Matthews' holding penalty. I almost always give far more credit or blame to players rather than coaches. Say all you want about the play calls, but they most likely win without that penalty.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:25 pm

elprof wrote:Even with the play calling they still had a good shot at the FG until Matthews' holding penalty. I almost always give far more credit or blame to players rather than coaches. Say all you want about the play calls, but they most likely win without that penalty.

And I guess Quinn could have overruled Shanahan's play calling but how often does that happen? A head coach disagreeing with a coordinator and making him change his play calls?

Regarding the penalty, I think that OL and DB either hold or interfere on basically every play - it's a really subjective call sometimes and a lot of times they hold and it doesn't get called.

Eh - what an Atlanta way to lose a title.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 am

That was pretty painful. Glad we didn't have a drinking game for every time I said, "This game's not over."

Could have used a dose of my conservative play calling after the Julio catch. Props to Mack and Jones, and others less famous, for playing through a lot of pain.

Now Shanahan will find out how important it is to have players if you want to be a guro.

CtK sayed-"Regarding the penalty, I think that OL and DB either hold or interfere on basically every play - it's a really subjective call sometimes and a lot of times they hold and it doesn't get called."

This is true enough, but on that particular play Mathews did a take down that had Elvis standing up and yelling, "It's real to me, dammit!"

Pitchers and catchers report on 2/14.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:46 pm

This one is going to leave a mark. I quit. I guess all that's left is for the Braves to blow a 4 games to none in the WS
Millwood
All Pro

Postby Millwood » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:48 pm

I do have 2 healthy little boys so it's not all bad
Millwood
All Pro

Postby Millwood » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Oh and my wife's boobs have held up pretty well
Millwood
All Pro