Falcons 2017 Offseason

Sports, Sports, and more Sports

Falcons 2017 Offseason

Postby juansamuel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

This team made it to a SB and they don't have any high profile players up for free agency. The best way to improve IMO is to add depth on defense, especially at linebacker and defensive line. On offense, the only improvements we probably need are at guard and OL depth in general.

I'd be inclined to pay Devonta Freeman decent money at this point. I know the thinking is that running backs can be easily replaced in this league, but I don't think it's quite that simple. Just look at the teams the Falcons beat in the playoffs and their lack of a sustainable running game during those games. In addition, the Steelers lost the AFC championship game because Leveon Bell was injured. I just don't think you want to mess with a good thing.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Re: Falcons 2017 Offseason

Postby elprof » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 pm

juansamuel wrote:This team made it to a SB and they don't have any high profile players up for free agency. The best way to improve IMO is to add depth on defense, especially at linebacker and defensive line. On offense, the only improvements we probably need are at guard and OL depth in general.

I'd be inclined to pay Devonta Freeman decent money at this point. I know the thinking is that running backs can be easily replaced in this league, but I don't think it's quite that simple. Just look at the teams the Falcons beat in the playoffs and their lack of a sustainable running game during those games. In addition, the Steelers lost the AFC championship game because Leveon Bell was injured. I just don't think you want to mess with a good thing.

Agreed on all this. Devonta is special with all that he can do and do well.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 am

Thoughts on strengthening the OL? I think they played together for a long stretch last season and Alex Mack was a huge improvement but even in the Super Bowl, pressure on Matt Ryan is killing this team (still.) He's one rough sack from being dumped on his shoulder and bye-bye rest of the season.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:Thoughts on strengthening the OL? I think they played together for a long stretch last season and Alex Mack was a huge improvement but even in the Super Bowl, pressure on Matt Ryan is killing this team (still.) He's one rough sack from being dumped on his shoulder and bye-bye rest of the season.

Yeah, like I said, I think they need some improvement at guard. Weird that they haven't addressed that at all.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Return to Sports Talk