ideas, suggestions, critiques

Questions, Comments, Suggestions

Re: ideas, suggestions, critiques

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:35 pm

If the ultimate goal is to increase the number of users, and I assume that is BMack's ultimate goal, is "calling out a stupid post" a productive way to achieve that goal?

(especially if a lot of folks may not have thought it was a stupid post)
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Bmack » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't need to be paid, but if someone has an issue they need to at least shoot me a pm and let me know the problem. It was easy to read every post when it was just me and jimmy talking back and fourth but now I don't see everything.
Bmack
Legend

Postby elprof » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Nothing but sunshine and rainbows from me going forward.

Maybe a few unicorns thrown in for good measure!
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:
Cortez the Killer wrote:Every post with a personal attack should be mod'd. What constitutes a personal attack should be up to the discretion of the moderators. Habitual offenders should be banned after being warned.

Unless we are going to actually pay Fulmsie, I don't see how this is practical. He would have to review every post. I haven't checked. Is there an "Ignore" button?

Ha! He should be paying me to post here :wookie:

The problem with Ignore is that you can still see quoted posts from the user that you're trying to ignore.

Is there a way to report a post to a moderator? I'm with shoepolish in the This Story Is Nuts thread...we ought not let the same shit happen here that happened on SC.com that will drive people away b/c they don't want to get hammered with personal attacks every time they post something on the board.

so you're fine with shoepolish calling someone a nitwit as long as there's a winking smiley face? I've seen that dude make more offensive comments in two drunken stupor saturdays than what I've seen on this board total.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby cheapseats » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:29 pm

FWIW - I think there's a big ass gap between having people spew racist garbage and online stalking and moding every negative comment like we're in a birkenstock wearing kindergarten.

I like modding being needed rarely if ever simply because of douchebaggery not being encouraged by others. Some board outings to play golf, or get a beer or watch a game go a LONG, LONG way towards making people act like grown ups. Me and Galt bait each other and have oil and water political beliefs - but somewhere along the line we actually met each other, watched each other's kids play hockey and got out on the ice together (really badly in my case). Similarly El P drives me crazy at times, but he's given me several bits of solid technical advice.

I, however, actually AM an insufferable know-it-all in real life.

SC didn't die because of any individual as much as because it was fundamentally broken with no ability to edit posts or have new people register.

A new board can be a new start, by gones being bygones, etc. If we end up needing mods, so be it - whoever gets stuck being a mod, I wish luck for a thankless friggin task.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Bmack » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 pm

I don't want this to come off the wrong way because I can promise you I don't take myself or this board too seriously, but I think we just need to make sure that we show each other a little more respect. Maybe before posting a response, consider if it's something you would say to your superior, or respected elder. The familiarity that we all have with each other is also a problem. Of course new members is the goal, so fewer "inside" jokes, and personal nonsense, can only be a good thing.

Reading posts before looking at usernames would probably be a good thing too. I think we sometimes lose all capabilities of being objective simply by looking at the username. Not saying that some or most of our preconceived ideas aren't accurate, but they can also prevent us from being rational, and respectful.

:boobs:
Bmack
Legend

Postby Bmack » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:40 pm

cheapseats wrote:FWIW - I think there's a big ass gap between having people spew racist garbage and online stalking and moding every negative comment like we're in a birkenstock wearing kindergarten.

I like modding being needed rarely if ever simply because of douchebaggery not being encouraged by others. Some board outings to play golf, or get a beer or watch a game go a LONG, LONG way towards making people act like grown ups. Me and Galt bait each other and have oil and water political beliefs - but somewhere along the line we actually met each other, watched each other's kids play hockey and got out on the ice together (really badly in my case). Similarly El P drives me crazy at times, but he's given me several bits of solid technical advice.

SC didn't die because of any individual as much as because it was fundamentally broken with no ability to edit posts or have new people register.

A new board can be a new start, by gones being bygones, etc. If we end up needing mods, so be it - whoever gets stuck being a mod, I wish luck for a thankless friggin task.

...and this
Bmack
Legend

Postby johnny fontane » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 am

Any board that has these, I'm proud to be a member of. :boobs: :hot: :stroken:
Everyone has already seen me naked. No need to get dressed now.
johnny fontane
Rookie

Postby Yeap » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:20 am

cheapseats wrote:FWIW - I think there's a big ass gap between having people spew racist garbage and online stalking and moding every negative comment like we're in a birkenstock wearing kindergarten.

:lov:
MY LIBERTARIAN BROTHER!
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am

cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Replicate elprofsports.com smilie selections. That would be all

Edit: Ban Galt.....

bump

This and a thumbs up smilie....
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Bmack » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:Replicate elprofsports.com smilie selections. That would be all

bump

I'll have to ask prof about his smilie section. I have no idea what he had. Maybe he's got a file saved somewhere he can share.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Yeap » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:33 am

Bmack wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

bump

I'll have to ask prof about his smilie section. I have no idea what he had. Maybe he's got a file saved somewhere he can share.

/inside joke alert

show me where he ever said he had a file saved somewhere...

:stupid: :john: :hot:
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby elprof » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:41 am

Bmack wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

bump

I got nothing. I deleted the entire site along with my dreamhost account. I got all the smilies from google searches anyway.

MC Hammer was the best one, and we already got that one. Maybe Hoosier Daddy can remember some others he liked.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby The Beef » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:06 am

Can you add this one to the smilies?

The Beef
Rookie

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:48 am

There are a bunch. I couldn't find the exact one you had, but I did find this.

Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Josie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 am

Which board style is supposed to make the board work well for my ipad? I can't seem to login or navigate very well from the ipad. Figure it's probably a me thing...
Josie
Rookie

Postby Bmack » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am

I think the iPad uses the mobile version which is fairly limited at the moment. There is an update coming soon though. However, if u click on the disable mobile version at the bottom of the screen it will log you out and return you to the default style. From there you can go in your user control panel->board preferences- then choose a style from there to find one that works best from the iPad. I don't have one so I haven't been able to test the different styles on that device yet.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Yeap » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

:reagan:
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Here's the best way to embed a youtube clip on the board:

On the page for your chosen clip, click the SHARE button.

Underneath the link for the clip, there is an OPTIONS hyperlink. Click that.

Choose the LONG LINK option.

This is the link you should copy and use to place between the [youtube] [/youtube]

Hope this helps.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Yeap » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Can you make this a smilie, in a smaller version?

and this as a smilie?

that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Bmack » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Fatty Arbuckle wrote:Here's the best way to embed a youtube clip on the board:

This is the link you should copy and use to place between the [youtube] [/youtube]

Hope this helps.

I may be wrong, but in most cases the LONG LINK is the same as the url in the address bar. The exception, from what I can tell, is when you have a youtube account, and your linking a video from your favorites, or subscriptions, or if it's a featured video. That is when you would need to copy and paste the LONG LINK in between the tags.

embedding videos is disabled by default on these type of boards, therefore I had to create a BB code in order to allow them to be embedded. There are a few quirks to the code, and I'm no expert so it's the best solution I could come up with on my own.

Again though, as long as you're not linking a featured video, or video from your favorites, or subscriptions, it's just a simple copy and paste of the url in the address bar, in between the youtube tags.

Or.......You could just do what Fatty said and copy the LONG LINK from the share button. That seems to work every time.

However you choose to do it, all you want in between the youtube tags is this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha_8ij74n4. If there's anything after the "watch?v=Ha_8ij74n4" part of the url, it's not going to work.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the situation even more. I feel more confused, but I'm hoping thats just me.
Bmack
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Bmack wrote:
Fatty Arbuckle wrote:Here's the best way to embed a youtube clip on the board:

Hope this helps.

I may be wrong, but in most cases the LONG LINK is the same as the url in the address bar. The exception, from what I can tell, is when you have a youtube account, and your linking a video from your favorites, or subscriptions, or if it's a featured video. That is when you would need to copy and paste the LONG LINK in between the tags.

embedding videos is disabled by default on these type of boards, therefore I had to create a BB code in order to allow them to be embedded. There are a few quirks to the code, and I'm no expert so it's the best solution I could come up with on my own.

Again though, as long as you're not linking a featured video, or video from your favorites, or subscriptions, it's just a simple copy and paste of the url in the address bar, in between the youtube tags.

Or.......You could just do what Fatty said and copy the LONG LINK from the share button. That seems to work every time.

However you choose to do it, all you want in between the youtube tags is this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha_8ij74n4. If there's anything after the "watch?v=Ha_8ij74n4" part of the url, it's not going to work.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the situation even more. I feel more confused, but I'm hoping thats just me.

You're right about that, but the link is also sometimes different if you're clicking from facebook or Tumblr or Twitter.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby dylvez » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 am

You should set up some autopost functionality that posts the baggypants dance smiley from Hammerfan's account on 9AM each morning after a Braves win in the previous night's game threeed.
dylvez
Starter

Postby Yeap » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:22 am

You should make dylvez post more
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeap wrote:You should make dylvez post more

:2thumbs: :hot: :2thumbs:
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby KUZIN E » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:11 pm

WD IT BE TOO BIG A PAIN TO BRING :OMG: KAT OVER HERE? MY OLD ONE OR A BETTER ONE IF ANYONE HAS IT.

UNLESS POSTER GOT ME TO SIGN THE RITES OVER WHEN WE WERE DRUNK I THINK I STILL OWN HIM

KUZIN E
Rookie

Postby Yeap » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:

B for :BUMP: and B for Because it ain't been happening... Yet!
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Yeap » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 am

Yeap wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

B for :BUMP: and B for Because it ain't been happening... Yet!

EDIT...
:bb:
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Bmack » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 am

:omg:
Bmack
Legend

Postby Yeap » Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm

:omg:
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Now he's not even on the Facebooks anymore.

fml
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Yeap » Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:

fml

that's just you
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun May 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Yeap wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

fml

that's just you

wrong again, but thanks for playing.

El Viss needs to post more as well also too as well as Dylvie.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon May 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
Yeap wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

fml

that's just you

wrong again, but thanks for playing.

El Viss needs to post more as well also too as well as Dylvie.

Hopefully this'll tide you over for a bit.

http://forums.smirkinchicken.com/thread ... forumid=79
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:01 pm

I wish this thread wouldn't pop back up to the top of the active list all the time without anyone posting in it. what's up with that?
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Bmack » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Its stickied. I can unsticky it now I suppose.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:10 pm

More Dlyvie, more Chad Nnamath, more Elvis, more Ridge Runner, more others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Ban Galt.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 pm

More just about any damn body.

Except for Galt.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am

Bmack wrote:Its stickied. I can unsticky it now I suppose.

weird. it's not ALWAYS at the top of the list, just sometimes.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Yeap » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:02 pm

the time is one hour behind
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Yeap wrote:the time is one hour behind

:laffo: interwebz gold.

I take that back. More galt.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Yeap » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:

on November 4 2012, the time will be an hour earlier
that I'm not here
Yeap
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 am

Yeap wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

on November 4 2012, the time will be an hour earlier

Uhhmmm, you know that you can control that, right? You are empowered...

User Control Panel>Options>Board Preferences>Edit Global Settings>My Time Zone

There are a lot of different options. Sorry, Jupiter isn't one of them...
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Manager? MANAGER!!!

Some of the avatars in the new format have overlapped into the thread post...that idiot with the Van Morrison Leg Kick (DVMLK) is a good example. Please fix.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Bmack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:Manager? MANAGER!!!

Some of the avatars in the new format have overlapped into the thread post...that idiot with the Van Morrison Leg Kick (DVMLK) is a good example. Please fix.

hmmmmm.....no overlapping going on in mine. Try to clear your cache in your browser. If that doesn't work you can always switch back to the other theme in your user control panel > board preferences.

Is it just the leg kick? or others as well?
Bmack
Legend

Postby Bmack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 pm

I'll look into it further. I was able to replicate it on my phone, but on my cpu all the avatars are re-sized correctly.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Bmack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm

ok, I think I've figured it out somewhat. I was using my browser in full screen mode, but the minute I make the screen a bit smaller, the avatars stretch out. I'll edit the ones I can, but with the new theme there will be new size requirements for avatars. Or anyone can simply change back to the old theme. I went back and fourth on whether I wanted to force the change for everyone and ultimately decided to do it simply because I like this theme better. Especially considering everyone can change it back to the old theme if they want.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 pm

turrible - I must call a Geek Squad.

Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Bmack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Is it fixed?
Bmack
Legend