This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

You Heard Me

This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Wed May 13, 2015 5:46 pm

User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 10:37 am

I'll read it later, but I did hear Leo say, "Bryce Harper is my favorite player," the other morning. I told the v's and thought they were going to have seizures.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby cheapseats » Thu May 14, 2015 2:40 pm

good piece. Leo not getting a gig anywhere is as weird and inexplicable as the long gap in Ted Nolan's career post managing the buffalo sabers.
User avatar
cheapseats
Legend
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby hotdawg62 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 am

Yesterday, I was tasked with taking my wife to her doctor's appointment in Greenville to get her colonoscopy. After she was called back, I was sitting in the waiting room watching TV, reading magazines, checking my phone, etc. I looked up as a couple walked in the office and approached the check-in desk. I didn't pay them much attention until the nurse asked for his name and he said "Leo Mazzone." After he sat down, I told him I had just read this really good article about him. He thanked me and asked me how I found it, so I told him. He and his wife were really nice. I wished him good luck and went about my business. There it was...my 15 minutes.
User avatar
hotdawg62
Rookie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/miche ... s-in-texas


Pamela Colloff is an excellent writer.
User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby cheapseats » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:11 pm

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-untold-story/

Part 1 of a long story of the takedown of Silk Road. Sounds like had a dirty cop not stolen &350k in Silk Road operating funds bitcoins using a laptop taken in a drug bust, the takedown wouldn't have happened.
User avatar
cheapseats
Legend
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:37 am

User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:38 pm

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/10/ ... ian-right/

My bro's first feature story for CNN Politics.
User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby cheapseats » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:43 am

juansamuel wrote:http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/10/politics/fear-voting-christian-right/

My bro's first feature story for CNN Politics.


I read that the other day. It's solid. I'm liking CNN doing more long form stuff - both this magazine style writing and longer form VICE-style video that is being promoted at greatbigstory.com

A big improvement from slightly rewriting AP wire stories with 60 second video captures of the story on air up above.
User avatar
cheapseats
Legend
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 pm

"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Joe Sieve » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:08 pm

This is an old article, but I thought is was pretty good. The story of a local bluesman who died way too young (a familiar refrain):

http://clatl.com/atlanta/sean-costello-1979-2008/Content?oid=1273681
Joe Sieve
Starter
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:58 am

Joe Sieve wrote:This is an old article, but I thought is was pretty good. The story of a local bluesman who died way too young (a familiar refrain):

http://clatl.com/atlanta/sean-costello-1979-2008/Content?oid=1273681


Good article. I had never heard of him.

Whenever I get too optimistic about the human race, I just need to read an Interweb Comments section and it brings me back down to earth.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Joe Sieve » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
Joe Sieve wrote:This is an old article, but I thought is was pretty good. The story of a local bluesman who died way too young (a familiar refrain):

http://clatl.com/atlanta/sean-costello-1979-2008/Content?oid=1273681


Good article. I had never heard of him.

Whenever I get too optimistic about the human race, I just need to read an Interweb Comments section and it brings me back down to earth.


I guess if this author gets the Tommy Hanson assignment now, he'll know better than to piss off Tommy's mom.
Joe Sieve
Starter
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Matthew Teague, who usually can be found in National Geographic, with a fantastic essay on his wife dying of cancer and the friend that helped him through it.

http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a34905 ... welcome-ad
User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:13 am

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/frank-sin ... 1000516479

RIP Frank Sinatra Jr. This one's certainly worth your time.
User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Cortez the Killer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:51 pm

I really like The Bitter Southerner blog - this is a recent article they published about the Lodge Cast Iron company in South Pittsburg TN, which is very close to my wife's hometown in north Alabama, aka Rural Hicksville Snake-Handling territory.

http://bittersoutherner.com/lodge-cast-iron
User avatar
Cortez the Killer
Legend
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:12 am

SLAYER666
Legend
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby cheapseats » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:I really like The Bitter Southerner blog - this is a recent article they published about the Lodge Cast Iron company in South Pittsburg TN, which is very close to my wife's hometown in north Alabama, aka Rural Hicksville Snake-Handling territory.

http://bittersoutherner.com/lodge-cast-iron


I read that one. bitter southerner is flat awesome. I wish they made an old-school paper magazine, I'd like to see their stuff showing up on glossy paper on a monthly basis. This story of the fight to get rid of the confederate battle flag over the SC statehouse was solid:
http://bittersoutherner.com/notmyflag#.VvrU2xIrKgT
User avatar
cheapseats
Legend
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:43 am

cheapseats wrote:
Cortez the Killer wrote:I really like The Bitter Southerner blog - this is a recent article they published about the Lodge Cast Iron company in South Pittsburg TN, which is very close to my wife's hometown in north Alabama, aka Rural Hicksville Snake-Handling territory.

http://bittersoutherner.com/lodge-cast-iron


I read that one. bitter southerner is flat awesome. I wish they made an old-school paper magazine, I'd like to see their stuff showing up on glossy paper on a monthly basis. This story of the fight to get rid of the confederate battle flag over the SC statehouse was solid:
http://bittersoutherner.com/notmyflag#.VvrU2xIrKgT


Just subscribed to their newsletter. I'll send you guys the rehab bill.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby SLAYER666 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:20 am

SLAYER666
Legend
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby juansamuel » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:30 am

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... tion-bauer

This is a 2 hour article, but holy shit it's worth your time. The author spent a few months undercover as a guard in a private prison in Louisiana.
User avatar
juansamuel
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 4894
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:02 pm


Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby SLAYER666 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:16 am

SLAYER666
Legend
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: This is a thread for good 25+ minute articles

Postby chad kilroy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:10 pm

I was here.
User avatar
chad kilroy
All Pro
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:16 pm


Return to Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest