Kim Davis

You Heard Me

Kim Davis

Postby Bmack » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 am

Divorced 3 times, 2 kids out of wedlock but won't issue a marriage license to the gays.

Christians are a strange bunch.
Bmack
Legend

Re: Kim Davis

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am

Whatever her background, the principled stand would be to resign in protest. It's your job. If your conscience won't let you do it, find another one and get out of the way of someone who will.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby hotdawg62 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:04 am

hotdawg62
Rookie

Postby Bmack » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:17 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Whatever her background, the principled stand would be to resign in protest. It's your job. If your conscience won't let you do it, find another one and get out of the way of someone who will.

She makes $80,000 a year..... In Arkansas. Shes not resigning. Especially now that she doesn't even have to do her job.

My question is why hasn't the county/state removed her from her job?
Bmack
Legend

Postby SamAxe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:21 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Whatever her background, the principled stand would be to resign in protest. It's your job. If your conscience won't let you do it, find another one and get out of the way of someone who will.

This.

As for her personal life (divorces, children out of wedlock, whatever), that doesn't bother me much. Anyone, Christian or not, is going to have some baggage and things they've done that they'd rather not discuss. I'd be more concerned about this if she did these things while she professed to be a Christian, but that's the whole idea of Christianity - Yes, you're a screw-up. No, you're not hopeless. However, yes you are accountable for the crap you pulled and no matter how much God forgives you, you still gotta live with your consequences. Her past life makes her unqualified to speak on this issue, in my opinion. As PF states, she should just quit her job and do some other meaningless job instead.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
SamAxe
Starter

Postby SLAYER666 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 am

She's an elected official. Can't fire her. Would have to somehow impeach her. Not gonna happen when probably 2/3 of the folks in that area agree with her.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 am

Issuing marriage licenses to couples where one is Christian and the other is not is against God's law too. Did she turn any of those people away?
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby SamAxe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:35 pm

juansamuel wrote:Issuing marriage licenses to couples where one is Christian and the other is not is against God's law too. Did she turn any of those people away?

Actually, it's not against any 'law.' Paul mentions in 2 Corinthians 6:14, "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers." Obviously it's not in the best interests of believers to be married to someone who is an avowed athiest or is otherwise anti-Christian, but God isn't going to keep you from Him just because you did so. Then again, being gay isn't going to keep you from Him either but that's an altogether different subject.

All that being said, even if she's an elected official she needs leave her post. I don't want her imposing her views over the law of the land any more than I want a Satanist in there insisting we all put a pentagram tattoo on our foreheads.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
SamAxe
Starter

Postby confedofadunce » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:07 pm

All of this. She needs to go or get impeached. Meanwhile she can sit and stew in the pokey for Contempt.
I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.
confedofadunce
Rookie

Postby juansamuel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:56 pm

SamAxe wrote:
juansamuel wrote:Issuing marriage licenses to couples where one is Christian and the other is not is against God's law too. Did she turn any of those people away?

Actually, it's not against any 'law.' Paul mentions in 2 Corinthians 6:14, "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers." Obviously it's not in the best interests of believers to be married to someone who is an avowed athiest or is otherwise anti-Christian, but God isn't going to keep you from Him just because you did so. Then again, being gay isn't going to keep you from Him either but that's an altogether different subject.

All that being said, even if she's an elected official she needs leave her post. I don't want her imposing her views over the law of the land any more than I want a Satanist in there insisting we all put a pentagram tattoo on our foreheads.

Either way, it states in the Bible that you shouldn't be unequally yoked. Some Christians like to say the Bible is a perfect book. If you reject one thing in it, you reject all of it.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby SamAxe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm

juansamuel wrote:
SamAxe wrote:

Either way, it states in the Bible that you shouldn't be unequally yoked. Some Christians like to say the Bible is a perfect book. If you reject one thing in it, you reject all of it.

I'm not rejecting what is said. I'm just saying following the law doesn't get you into Heaven. Jesus said that it's harder for a rich man to get into heaven than it is to get a camel through the eye of a needle. Doesn't mean you can't be rich and go to heaven, it just doesn't help. Marrying a non-Christian won't keep you out of heaven, but it's frowned upon because it keeps you from having God fully involved in your marriage. If you're a believer, that makes your life really tough.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
SamAxe
Starter

Postby SLAYER666 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:46 pm

JAILED!
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby elprof » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:45 pm

So many Christians complaining about being persecuted.

I hope they find peace.

Somewhere.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:49 pm

JAILED FOR BEING A CHRISTIAN
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 pm

So many different ways she could have gone with this that might not have seemed like attention-whoring, but still didn't have to result in her granting the dread license(s).

"Live and Fuck You"
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:22 pm

juansamuel wrote:JAILED FOR BEING A CHRISTIAN

Jailed for being in contempt of court and refusing to do the job that she's was sworn to do.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:26 pm

cheapseats wrote:

Jailed for being in contempt of court and refusing to do the job that she's was sworn to do.

Thanks for clearing that up.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:11 pm

juansamuel wrote:
cheapseats wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up.

sorry, thought you were Elvis :-)
cheapseats
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 pm

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/po ... lthy-rich/

Had this same thought when I heard the news. That's part of the reason I posted in caps was because I envisioned that as a headline on many a poster affixed to the bulletin boards of countless evangelical church bulletin boards across the country.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:53 pm

an elected official got sent to the hoozgow for not doing as the law says?

oh hay, president obama, governors of marijuana states, and sanctuary city mayors!

#YerGunnaNeedABiggerJail
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:16 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:an elected official got sent to the hoozgow for not doing as the law says?

oh hay, president obama, governors of marijuana states, and sanctuary city mayors!

#YerGunnaNeedABiggerJail

lol

She's a Democrat. Of course she didn't think the law applied to her...
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:59 am

Best thing on the whole internets: https://twitter.com/nexttokimdavis

Individual entries are funny:

We all agreed that if #KimDavis falls in love and wants to marry her cell mate, we'll let her, but we're going to be dicks about it.

TRY HAVING A DUDE DRESSED LIKE BEN FRANKLIN HIT ON YOU WHEN YOU TAKE A CIGARETTE BREAK.

#KimDavis - DID GOD ORDER YOU NOT TO REFILL THE XEROX TRAY, TOO? GODDAMN IT SOME OF US ARE TRYING TO GO HOME TO OUR FIRST HUSBAND

But start at the bottom and work up. The evolving story of a disfunctional office, media scrutiny and labor day weekend plans and the writer's responses to the #IstandwithKimDavis folks taunts, is so good.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:01 am

Ted Cruz, Mike Huckabee and very disappointingly, Rand Paul, are busy conflating the causes of private businesses' ability to exercise their religious freedom to the duty of elected officials to uphold the law.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... erk_s.html
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:39 pm

The precedent has already been set. Anthony Kennedys [s]love letter to his guay boyfriend[/s] opinion on guay marriage took the "law" out of "Rule of Law".

Why shd Kim Davis have to base her rule on law if the SCOTUS doesnt? she is as much a part of post constitutional america as any other appointed judge or tyrant politician?
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby elprof » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:50 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:The precedent has already been set. Anthony Kennedys [s]love letter to his guay boyfriend[/s] opinion on guay marriage took the "law" out of "Rule of Law".

Why shd Kim Davis have to base her rule on law if the SCOTUS doesnt? she is as much a part of post constitutional america as any other appointed judge or tyrant politician?

Pure stupidity at its finest.

Or worst.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby DDF » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Bmack wrote:

She makes $80,000 a year..... In Arkansas.

Kentucky actually.
"Mr. Cheney has been incredibly adroit for the last six years or so attacking the administration for not doing an adequate job of cleaning up the mess that he made. And I think it's unseemly." - Bill Clinton
DDF
All Pro

Postby DDF » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:14 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:an elected official got sent to the hoozgow for not doing as the law says?

#YerGunnaNeedABiggerJail

crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif (26.62 KiB) Viewed 6018 times
"Mr. Cheney has been incredibly adroit for the last six years or so attacking the administration for not doing an adequate job of cleaning up the mess that he made. And I think it's unseemly." - Bill Clinton
DDF
All Pro

Postby cheapseats » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:01 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:took the "law" out of "my personal interpretation of God's Law".

fitsed
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Bmack » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:53 pm

DDF wrote:
Bmack wrote:

She makes $80,000 a year..... In Arkansas.

Kentucky actually.

oops...point remains
Bmack
Legend

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:23 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... -religion/

Christopher Ciccone, brother of pop superstar Madonna, unleashed a strongly-worded defense of Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis, who was jailed last week for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses due to her religious beliefs.

Ciccone, who is openly gay, took to Facebook to criticize the gay community for being “sore winners.”

“The county clerk in Kentucy (sic) deserves about as much support as you would give her if she were a muslim women (sic) who insisted on covering her face and refused not only gay marriages licenses, but divorce, accusations of rape, and driving a car without ur mans approval,” Ciccone wrote. “Perspective is everything.”

Davis was jailed after refusing to comply with a Supreme Court order to resume issuing marriage licenses. The county clerk had reportedly stopped issuing all licenses, to both gay and straight couples, after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide in June. Davis spent her fifth day in prison on Labor Day.

Ciccone wrote that as a county clerk, Davis “is required to follow federal law.”

“But why should she… when DOJ and other civil authorities don’t follow federal law when they choose not to… i.e. Washington State and Colorado (POT) comes to mind… or the abstract notion of ‘sanctuary cities,'” he continued.

Ciccone closed his post by criticizing the larger gay community.

“Once again, the gay community feels the need to be sore winners,” he wrote. “Is it so difficult to allow this women her religion?… or must we destroy her in order for her to betray her faith? No matter how we judge its truth. The rights we have all fought for, mean nothing, if we deny her hers.”

Check out Ciccone’s full post below.

https://www.facebook.com/cgciccone/post ... 1700136663
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:43 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/09/07/madonna-s-gay-brother-defends-kim-davis-is-it-so-difficult-to-allow-this-woman-her-religion/

Christopher Ciccone, brother of pop superstar Madonna, unleashed a strongly-worded defense of Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis, who was jailed last week for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses due to her religious beliefs.

Ciccone, who is openly gay, took to Facebook to criticize the gay community for being “sore winners.”

“The county clerk in Kentucy (sic) deserves about as much support as you would give her if she were a muslim women (sic) who insisted on covering her face and refused not only gay marriages licenses, but divorce, accusations of rape, and driving a car without ur mans approval,” Ciccone wrote. “Perspective is everything.”

Davis was jailed after refusing to comply with a Supreme Court order to resume issuing marriage licenses. The county clerk had reportedly stopped issuing all licenses, to both gay and straight couples, after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide in June. Davis spent her fifth day in prison on Labor Day.

Ciccone wrote that as a county clerk, Davis “is required to follow federal law.”

“But why should she… when DOJ and other civil authorities don’t follow federal law when they choose not to… i.e. Washington State and Colorado (POT) comes to mind… or the abstract notion of ‘sanctuary cities,'” he continued.

Ciccone closed his post by criticizing the larger gay community.

“Once again, the gay community feels the need to be sore winners,” he wrote. “Is it so difficult to allow this women her religion?… or must we destroy her in order for her to betray her faith? No matter how we judge its truth. The rights we have all fought for, mean nothing, if we deny her hers.”

Check out Ciccone’s full post below.

https://www.facebook.com/cgciccone/post ... 1700136663

If you're sincerely interested in learning about why sanctuary cities are different, here is a legal opinion from a very reputable legal website about the difference between Kim Davis and sanctuary cities. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... ation-law/
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby elprof » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:10 pm

"sincerely interested in learning"

You do realize your audience there, right?
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:15 pm

elprof wrote:"sincerely interested in learning"

I know. But I've decided that I'm sharing that link with anyone who brings up the comparison to sanctuary cities. If he reads it and still decides it's an apt comparison, that's on him.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby elprof » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:18 pm

From da Tweeterz: All units be advised inmate Kim Davis to be released, subject is considered an extremely high risk to divorce and marry again.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:04 pm

FWIW - saw a good article that argued that the judge used the wrong remedy in the Davis case in using contempt and jail to force her compliance. Since she is an elected officer of the court, he could have ordered that the judge that oversee's the licensing do all the signing if she continued to refuse and had her reimburse the court for incurred administrative costs. Same outcome, no martydom.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
elprof wrote:"sincerely interested in learning"

I know. But I've decided that I'm sharing that link with anyone who brings up the comparison to sanctuary cities. If he reads it and still decides it's an apt comparison, that's on him.

Interesting. The difference makes sense. Not to Elvis, of course:

cheapseats
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:31 pm

cheapseats wrote:FWIW - saw a good article that argued that the judge used the wrong remedy in the Davis case in using contempt and jail to force her compliance. Since she is an elected officer of the court, he could have ordered that the judge that oversee's the licensing do all the signing if she continued to refuse and had her reimburse the court for incurred administrative costs. Same outcome, no martydom.

Fair enough, I like the rest of it.

I don't know why Huckabee riding this woman's coattails bugs me so much.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:59 pm

juansamuel wrote:I don't know why Huckabee riding this woman's coattails bugs me so much.

Because he's rabble-rousing on a total straw man. It's Sharpton-esque.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Bmack » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
juansamuel wrote:I don't know why Huckabee riding this woman's coattails bugs me so much.

As if his candidacy wasn't already doomed, now he's going to stand up for discrimination? Although, trump is discriminating against an entire County and he's the "leader" so who knows. Politics suck.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Bmack wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

As if his candidacy wasn't already doomed, now he's going to stand up for discrimination? Although, trump is discriminating against an entire County and he's the "leader" so who knows. Politics suck.

I really didn't give Sharpton enough credit. Huckabee's rabble-rousing won't result in any deaths.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:31 pm

respected legal opinion in a thread about the constitutional atrocity that is guay marriage ruling, that's really cute....

dissappointing, but not surprising. after all, you democrats insisted rosa parks had a legal obligation to go sit in the backa the bus
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby elprof » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:52 pm

No democrat today would say that.

But your knowledge of political history is so limited that it's understandable why you might think differently.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:51 am

Congrats Republican Party, Kim has switched over. She's all yours!!!!
SLAYER666
Legend

Return to Whatever