The popes visit to the White House

You Heard Me

The popes visit to the White House

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:40 pm

The Popes visit to the White House

So lets see, for the past 20 years, most of what we heard from the media about the catholic church was how priests couldnt stop molesting little boys

Now that there is An Al Gore with an Eye-talien accent whos on board with all of Obama's politics, a pope who does not attack abortion or our selling of baby parts, or guay marriage, or persecution of christians, them bad priests seemed to have stopped diddling young children....

First there was the "Inconvenient Truth", now there is the "Inconvenient Word of God"
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Re: The popes visit to the White House

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:18 pm

if you're going to be a racist you need to learn the difference between beaner and wop accents.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:06 pm

If i wanted to know a spanish accent, i'd listen to any of my neighbors or any of my co-workers.

If i wanted to know what an EYE-talian accent sounds like, I'd remember what it was like to hear my WOP great grandma who barely spoke a word of english, or my grandma.

if i wanted to be a racist who speaks out his azz, id join the democrat party and do my best imitation of cheaps
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:29 pm

"How, then, to explain Pope Francis’s behavior in Cuba? The pope(spent) four days in a country whose Communist dictatorship has remained unrelenting in its repression of free speech, political dissent and other human rights despite a warming of relations with the Vatican and the United States. Yet by the end of his third day, the pope had said or done absolutely nothing that might discomfit his official hosts.

Pope Francis met with 89-year-old Fidel Castro, who holds no office in Cuba, but not with any members of the dissident community — in or outside of prison. According to the Web site 14ymedio.com, two opposition activists were invited to greet the pope at Havana’s cathedral Sunday but were arrested on the way. Dozens of other dissidents were detained when they attempted to attend an open air Mass. They needn’t have bothered: The pope said nothing in his homily about their cause, or even political freedom more generally. Those hunting for a message had to settle for a cryptic declaration that “service is never ideological.”"-The Washington Post
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Conservatives love hating on this Pope.

Easy to see why.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:18 pm

elprof wrote:Conservatives love hating on this Pope.

Easy to see why.

Because he doesn't try to hide pedophiles? Oh wait...
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Easy to see why.

I expect selective outrage from you and DDF, not from the leader of the Catholic church. That said, his ratcheting back of the trappings of the office and reform of the Vatican finances are great.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Easy to see why.

To be fair, the Hitler youth pedophile apologist DID stick a lot closer to GOP core principles.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:22 pm

cheapseats wrote:

Easy to see why.

Because he doesn't try to hide pedophiles? Oh wait...

That's good too.

At least someone else can take a turn sucking up to the Castros. Gives the American left a much needed break.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:23 pm

You're too quick. I changed it.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby elprof » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:

Easy to see why.

I expect selective outrage from you and DDF, not from the leader of the Catholic church. That said, his ratcheting back of the trappings of the office and reform of the Vatican finances are great.

Selective outrage is the best kind. Being outraged at everything (rightydoodz alert!) isn't healthy.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:42 am

cheapseats wrote:You're too quick.

Story of my life.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:28 am

I'm conflicted on the Cuba thing. In addition to being a moral leader, part of the pope's role, is being inspirational and growing the church. In Cuba, it was probably impossible to try to do both things. The US as an open society allows him to do both. So I get why he would be willing to appear without hectoring. However, it's not hard to see the direct path from Pius X's lack of outrage/actions regarding jews in nazi german to Francis in Cuba.

Hey'evah - a pope that pisses off Democrats and Republicans for different things seems like a good thing. And latin-american Liberation Theology seems a lot more like something Jesus would recognize than the prosperity gospel, feelgood religion that we've invented in the US.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:13 pm

cheapseats wrote:And latin-american Liberation Theology seems a lot more like something Jesus would recognize than the prosperity gospel, feelgood religion that we've invented in the US.

Probably right. I do like that he lives more like a priest than a king.

When I WAS going to church, I was a Catholic, I never could square the circle vis a vis how lavishly the popes lived, even when I was a kid. I was really blown away to think that some popes actually had armies.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SamAxe » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:37 pm

cheapseats wrote:Hey'evah - a pope that pisses off Democrats and Republicans for different things seems like a good thing. And latin-american Liberation Theology seems a lot more like something Jesus would recognize than the prosperity gospel, feelgood religion that we've invented in the US.

This.

Christians in America seem to have forgotten the most important thing Jesus taught - Love. They've also tried to forget the second most important thing - service. As long as it helps themselves or their personal interests then it's all "hey, let's do this." Once it becomes a sacrifice with no personal gain, suddenly it's time to go to another church. If Christians switched from "all about me" to "all about Him," I believe the reputation we have would be significantly improved.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
SamAxe
Starter

Postby juansamuel » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:53 pm

SamAxe wrote:
cheapseats wrote:Hey'evah - a pope that pisses off Democrats and Republicans for different things seems like a good thing. And latin-american Liberation Theology seems a lot more like something Jesus would recognize than the prosperity gospel, feelgood religion that we've invented in the US.

This.

Christians in America seem to have forgotten the most important thing Jesus taught - Love. They've also tried to forget the second most important thing - service. As long as it helps themselves or their personal interests then it's all "hey, let's do this." Once it becomes a sacrifice with no personal gain, suddenly it's time to go to another church. If Christians switched from "all about me" to "all about Him," I believe the reputation we have would be significantly improved.

And Christians -and everyone else for that matter- could stand to remember the most important thing that Jesus exemplified- grace. That's the only thing that keeps my tenuous hold on Christianity alive.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Ponce Pilate accused Jesus of acting as a "King", in the earthly sense.

Jesus replied that his Kingdom was not of any man but it was eternal, and he said so in a way to make it clear that this was the most basic of truths for any man to know

The man of govt. understood it the only way a person of govt cld understand: "he is not guilty (of trying to pass himself off as a king)"

Now the supposed descendant of the "Holy Father" says that we will not be judged by God, but by such people as Ponce Pilate: Fidel Castro, Al Gore, Obama, and the scientists funded by them.

it's just another of example of the Catholic Church and its history of false prophecy, and why it should not be considered a branch of Christianity
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby elprof » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:32 pm

Ponce Pilate would be a great name for a ska band.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:26 am

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:The Popes visit to the White House

So lets see, for the past 20 years, most of what we heard from the media about the catholic church was how priests couldnt stop molesting little boys

Now that there is An Al Gore with an Eye-talien accent whos on board with all of Obama's politics, a pope who does not attack abortion or our selling of baby parts, or guay marriage, or persecution of christians, them bad priests seemed to have stopped diddling young children....

First there was the "Inconvenient Truth", now there is the "Inconvenient Word of God"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/co ... p=cur&_r=0

Good news for you, Elvis.

Pope meets with Kim Davis; tells her to stay strong.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:33 am

juansamuel wrote:
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:The Popes visit to the White House

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/co ... p=cur&_r=0

Good news for you, Elvis.

Pope meets with Kim Davis; tells her to stay strong.

It's great that he is divesting the position of the all the royal trappings, is reforming the Vatican bank, busting on Cardinals and Bishops that forgot their mission, etc., etc. All that said, what happens when the left figures out that the church's positions on abortion, gay marriage, priests marrying and women's role in the church haven't changed? All they'll have in common anymore is that they both suck up to the Castros.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:13 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:It's great that he is divesting the position of the all the royal trappings, is reforming the Vatican bank, busting on Cardinals and Bishops that forgot their mission, etc., etc. All that said, what happens when the left figures out that the church's positions on abortion, gay marriage, priests marrying and women's role in the church haven't changed? All they'll have in common anymore is that they both suck up to the Castros.

damn son.

cheapseats
Legend

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:08 pm

cheapseats wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:It's great that he is divesting the position of the all the royal trappings, is reforming the Vatican bank, busting on Cardinals and Bishops that forgot their mission, etc., etc. All that said, what happens when the left figures out that the church's positions on abortion, gay marriage, priests marrying and women's role in the church haven't changed? All they'll have in common anymore is that they both suck up to the Castros.

damn son.

thats why hoosiey's always been my guy
it dont matter if you got a pointy gold hat or your pants down past your azz, he'll sqaure ya up
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby DDF » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
It's great that he is divesting the position of the all the royal trappings, is reforming the Vatican bank, busting on Cardinals and Bishops that forgot their mission, etc., etc. All that said, what happens when the left figures out that the church's positions on abortion, gay marriage, priests marrying and women's role in the church haven't changed?

I figured that out a long time ago. I haven't been as enamored with Pope Francis as others have for that reason.

Hoosier Fan wrote: All they'll have in common anymore is that they both suck up to the Castros.

Ending a policy that has failed for 50 years is not sucking up to the Castros.
"Mr. Cheney has been incredibly adroit for the last six years or so attacking the administration for not doing an adequate job of cleaning up the mess that he made. And I think it's unseemly." - Bill Clinton
DDF
All Pro

Postby elprof » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:12 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:All that said, what happens when the left figures out that the church's positions on abortion, gay marriage, priests marrying and women's role in the church haven't changed?

That's a good Trumpable quote, but the answer is still "nothing."

Liking the Pope (or anyone else) for one thing and disliking that person for other things is really a very human thing. "The Right" seems to think that you're either all in or all out.

But those are some good sounds bytes. They do get Uncle Fred all lathered up on Facebook.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Return to Whatever