RIP Ziggy Stardust

You Heard Me

RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby SamAxe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:37 pm

Grew up with his music in the 80s. Discovered his music of the 70s. Loved him in Labyrinth.

RIP, Goblin King.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
User avatar
SamAxe
Starter
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby elprof » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Saw him in 78 in Chicago. Some dude in a Hoosier sweatshirt took all our pot.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5245
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:24 pm

elprof wrote:Some dude in a Hoosier sweatshirt took all our pot.


The older I get, the better I was.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby SLAYER666 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:17 pm

As an MTV child of the 80's, I never got into him. But when you see the array of folks lamenting his death, you know he was a legend. RIP.
SLAYER666
Legend
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:12 pm

SLAYER666 wrote:As an MTV child of the 80's, I never got into him. But when you see the array of folks lamenting his death, you know he was a legend. RIP.


Huuuuge deal to us, but especially to my younger sister and her crew. I've got to say, I don't usually stop on the Classic Rock stations when he is playing, but I did listen to Diamond Dogs this morning and it was pretty damn good. Spoke more to my younger self though.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby SLAYER666 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
SLAYER666 wrote:As an MTV child of the 80's, I never got into him. But when you see the array of folks lamenting his death, you know he was a legend. RIP.


Huuuuge deal to us, but especially to my younger sister and her crew. I've got to say, I don't usually stop on the Classic Rock stations when he is playing, but I did listen to Diamond Dogs this morning and it was pretty damn good. Spoke more to my younger self though.


I've never listened to a Bowie record from start to finish.
SLAYER666
Legend
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby cheapseats » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 pm

Besides his "classic rock" stuff, his 3 records with Brian Eno in the 70s starting with Low are really interesting ambient/electronic records. I first listened to Low only a year or so ago and found it amazing.

Let's Dance is pure 80s pop but had tasty SRV guitar work in several songs (radio stations always fade out on the solo at the end of Let's Dance which pisses me off.)

95s Outside is a really good record I'd overlooked when it came out because the 10 or so solid songs are wrapped in an odd concept album that has distracting dialog mixed in.

Earthling from 97 is a Drum and Bass record that didn't do much commercially or critically, but has some great songwriting.
User avatar
cheapseats
Legend
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:30 am

cheapseats wrote:Besides his "classic rock" stuff, his 3 records with Brian Eno in the 70s starting with Low are really interesting ambient/electronic records. I first listened to Low only a year or so ago and found it amazing.


I wasn't open to the kind of experimentation he did on Low back then. Maybe I'll check it out now that I have access to Spotify/Amazon Prime.

cheapseats wrote:Let's Dance is pure 80s pop but had tasty SRV guitar work in several songs (radio stations always fade out on the solo at the end of Let's Dance which pisses me off.)


I was in Indy's biggest disco in the early/mid 80's and let's dance came on and every black patron in the joint hit the dance floor hard and I thought, well that's pretty cool. I'll have to check out the guitar solo.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
User avatar
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack
 
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: RIP Ziggy Stardust

Postby cheapseats » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 am

SRV has long lead out solos on several songs on that record
putting out the fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4xpdaIZyzs
and China Girl are pretty tasty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8IXx4tsus
User avatar
cheapseats
Legend
 
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am


Return to Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest