Iowa and New Hampshire

You Heard Me

Iowa and New Hampshire

Postby SLAYER666 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Those two states make up about 1.5% of the population.

Why in the world are they the king (or queen) makers in the political process?

Fuck them, especially Iowa and their subsidy loving corn cartel.
SLAYER666
Legend

Re: Iowa and New Hampshire

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't know, but I have a pretty high tolerance for politicians' bullshit, but damned if this bunch hasn't
blown through that like shit through a goose.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Central Florida is red state as hell, and my wife just stuck a Bernie 2016 bumper sticker on the minivan. I put the odds at 50/50 whether it gets keyed.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:36 am

SLAYER666 wrote:Central Florida is red state as hell, and my wife just stuck a Bernie 2016 bumper sticker on the minivan. I put the odds at 50/50 whether it gets keyed.

Well, obviously I think his ideas are bad for 'murrica, but if being consistent and principled won elections he'd win 50 states.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Florida and California both have an industrial and ethnic mix that is comparable to the rest of the nation as a whole. We'd be FAR better served if we had them be the first two. God help the poor fuckers if that ever happened. Their broadcast radio and TV would be unbearable.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
SLAYER666 wrote:Central Florida is red state as hell, and my wife just stuck a Bernie 2016 bumper sticker on the minivan. I put the odds at 50/50 whether it gets keyed.

Well, obviously I think his ideas are bad for 'murrica, but if being consistent and principled won elections he'd win 50 states.

Suppose Bernie won (although it doesn't appear to be very likely). What could he seriously implement without facing backlash from D/R's alike? There's no executive authority to allow him to implement government healthcare/free education without the approval of congress, correct?

These are the two issues I imagine most conservatives would have issues with? Are there major other ones? Required FMLA perhaps (raising taxes)?
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

Suppose Bernie won (although it doesn't appear to be very likely). What could he seriously implement without facing backlash from D/R's alike? There's no executive authority to allow him to implement government healthcare/free education without the approval of congress, correct?

These are the two issues I imagine most conservatives would have issues with? Are there major other ones? Required FMLA perhaps (raising taxes)?

I think he could make a run at single payer. For many Dems Obamacare was the nose under the tent, with single payer being the ultimate goal so at a minimum he could probably expand Obamacare.

Required FMLA would be opposed as yet more nanny state intrusion, but if he could get the Dems on board, I don't think it's an existential issue. It's one of those things that I don't think is necessarily a bad idea, depending on the particulars, I just don't think the gubmint should dictate. I would have LOVED some paternity leave. My current company actually offers.

Raising taxes by the amount he wants to would be the biggest problem I guess.

Plus he'd have a pen and a phone, right?
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:I think he could make a run at single payer. For many Dems Obamacare was the nose under the tent, with single payer being the ultimate goal so at a minimum he could probably expand Obamacare.

Required FMLA would be opposed as yet more nanny state intrusion, but if he could get the Dems on board, I don't think it's an existential issue. It's one of those things that I don't think is necessarily a bad idea, depending on the particulars, I just don't think the gubmint should dictate. I would have LOVED some paternity leave. My current company actually offers.

Obama couldn't pass single payer with a majority in both houses.

The only reason Bernie would be raising taxes is to be budget neutral in delivering free college for everybody, $1T in infrastructure spending, FMLA AND universal health care. Even with a majority of both houses there's no way all of that would be passed. So unless you think the GOP is facing the loss of the house and a massive loss in the Senate, almost none of that would be happening at anything close to the scope he proposes.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby DDF » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:57 pm

cheapseats wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:I think he could make a run at single payer. For many Dems Obamacare was the nose under the tent, with single payer being the ultimate goal so at a minimum he could probably expand Obamacare.

Obama couldn't pass single payer with a majority in both houses.

The only reason Bernie would be raising taxes is to be budget neutral in delivering free college for everybody, $1T in infrastructure spending, FMLA AND universal health care. Even with a majority of both houses there's no way all of that would be passed. So unless you think the GOP is facing the loss of the house and a massive loss in the Senate, almost none of that would be happening at anything close to the scope he proposes.

We might have gotten a public option through were it not for Lieberman and that guy from Nebraska whose name eludes me right now. A 60 seat majority now would be more solidly Democratic. That said, I don't disagree with the rest of your post.
"Mr. Cheney has been incredibly adroit for the last six years or so attacking the administration for not doing an adequate job of cleaning up the mess that he made. And I think it's unseemly." - Bill Clinton
DDF
All Pro

Postby DDF » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:Raising taxes by the amount he wants to would be the biggest problem I guess.

You can't raise taxes with a pen and a phone.
"Mr. Cheney has been incredibly adroit for the last six years or so attacking the administration for not doing an adequate job of cleaning up the mess that he made. And I think it's unseemly." - Bill Clinton
DDF
All Pro

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 pm

DDF wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:Raising taxes by the amount he wants to would be the biggest problem I guess.

You can't raise taxes with a pen and a phone.

Correct. I didn't really mean those two things together.

Concerning Cheaps's post, if I'm any indication, I'm usually not, a Trump nomination COULD result in massive down ballot losses plus 4 more years.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SamAxe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Being a Central Floridian myself, I've seen more than a few Bernie stickered cards driving around. In fact, I've seen a lot more of them than I have of any other candidate, including Hillary.

Not sure if this means anything, but it is interesting. I wonder what y'all in Atlanta are seeing.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
SamAxe
Starter

Postby Millwood » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:47 am

I'm seeing a lot of "I Like Ike" bumper stickers in my area.
Millwood
All Pro

Postby elprof » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 pm

Millwood wrote:I'm seeing a lot of "I Like Ike" bumper stickers in my area.

He ort not to have beat up Tina so much.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Millwood wrote:I'm seeing a lot of "I Like Ike" bumper stickers in my area.

RINO
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 pm

SamAxe wrote:

Being a Central Floridian myself, I've seen more than a few Bernie stickered cards driving around. In fact, I've seen a lot more of them than I have of any other candidate, including Hillary.

Not sure if this means anything, but it is interesting. I wonder what y'all in Atlanta are seeing.

My gut is that Bernie fans are mostly the way left types who feel like Obama let them down when he took office and had control of congress, and that their numbers and likeliness to vote are understated. The extent to which he crosses over into the GOP leaning blue collar white, youth or minority demographics he'd need to turnout to beat hillary is a mystery. And the extent to which those folks are willing to turn out for Hillary if (when) the bern is extinguished is also a mystery.

My gut is also that Trump's supporters are a lot less real - folks supporting the celebrity, but much less likely to actually do anything to get their guy elected, even if they're willing to wait in line to see him.

Iowa seems to indicate that I'm right, but it's Iowa so no reason to put any stock in it.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby SLAYER666 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 pm

cheapseats wrote:My gut is that Bernie fans are mostly the way left types who feel like Obama let them down when he took office and had control of congress, and that their numbers and likeliness to vote are understated. The extent to which he crosses over into the GOP leaning blue collar white, youth or minority demographics he'd need to turnout to beat hillary is a mystery. And the extent to which those folks are willing to turn out for Hillary if (when) the bern is extinguished is also a mystery.

For my wife it comes down to two things:

1. Women's health issues

and to a WAY lesser extent:

2. The idea that the right wing wants to continue to put drug offenders in jail, but no one from Wall Street is behind bars.

She's actually pretty fiscally conservative, but she's absolutely had it with #1 to the point that she's basically a single issue voter now and she'll go Democrat in November no matter what, even though she thinks Hillary is full of shit for the most part.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am

SLAYER666 wrote:
cheapseats wrote:She's actually pretty fiscally conservative, but she's absolutely had it with #1 to the point that she's basically a single issue voter now and she'll go Democrat in November no matter what, even though she thinks Hillary is full of shit for the most part.

I have an amazing number of friends and family that feel this way and are going to do this.

"...but no one from Wall Street is behind bars."

Only in the beltway and main stream media fantasy land is this a conservative/Republican position.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 am

SLAYER666 wrote:
cheapseats wrote:My gut is that Bernie fans are mostly the way left types who feel like Obama let them down when he took office and had control of congress, and that their numbers and likeliness to vote are understated. The extent to which he crosses over into the GOP leaning blue collar white, youth or minority demographics he'd need to turnout to beat hillary is a mystery. And the extent to which those folks are willing to turn out for Hillary if (when) the bern is extinguished is also a mystery.

For my wife it comes down to two things:

1. Women's health issues

and to a WAY lesser extent:

2. The idea that the right wing wants to continue to put drug offenders in jail, but no one from Wall Street is behind bars.

She's actually pretty fiscally conservative, but she's absolutely had it with #1 to the point that she's basically a single issue voter now and she'll go Democrat in November no matter what, even though she thinks Hillary is full of shit for the most part.

I disagree with the notion that only the majority of Republicans are fiscally conservative. There is certainly a wing of the party devoted to it, but I think Democrats/liberals are just as fiscally conservative on the whole.

Personally, my wife and I are extremely fiscally conservative (responsible?), but we generally disagree with the Republican philosophy as to how government level funds should be spent.

Also, in our case, we believe social issues are more important than financial issues on the whole, specifically (as you mentioned) women's health issues, GLBT issues, and abortion. I would love to see as much fervor from the right on protecting abortion rights as they do guns, for example.

I see a couple of Republican candidates that I will consider voting for, but I still shudder every time I think back to the first debate, when virtually every one of them indicated they would like to see abortion made illegal, NO EXCEPTIONS.

BTW, as an anecdote, probably just because of where I am from, I know far more Republicans on the government's teet than Democrats in terms of welfare, food stamps, etc.

EDIT: Well damn, I was hoping to see Paul at least go to NH to see how he would poll there.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby elprof » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:58 am

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
BTW, as an anecdote, probably just because of where I am from, I know far more Republicans on the government's teet than Democrats in terms of welfare, food stamps, etc.

Same here.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 am

elprof wrote:
Dauber Dybinski wrote:

Same here.

My anecdote contradicts both of yours, so there's that.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 pm

juansamuel wrote:
elprof wrote:
Dauber Dybinski wrote:

Same here.

My anecdote contradicts both of yours, so there's that.

I hope there's room in the welfare office parking lot for their Cadillacs and SUVs.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 pm

I love the whole "if you'd rather vote for Bernie Sanders than Hillary, you probably hate women" narrative that's emerging.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... =DDMorning

http://www.pajiba.com/politics/an-allca ... linton.php
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:56 pm

There are a lot of weird narratives. Today I learned that liberal sissies at NBC are keeping Carly Fiorina out of the next debate because they are afraid Carly will make Hillary look silly. Who knew it had nothing to do with Carly's abysmal polling.

I wish I could say I only read one person make this comment.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby SLAYER666 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 am

If you're going to let the other 7 on the main stage, might as well make it 8 and let Carly in.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:17 am

#TRUSTED
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby elprof » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 am

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:#TRUSTED

His pants bill must be incredible because they are constantly on fire.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... yist-money
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 pm

SLAYER666 wrote:If you're going to let the other 7 on the main stage, might as well make it 8 and let Carly in.

I don't care if she debates or not, but she didn't meet the requirements (that were agreed to back in the summer by the RNC) to get on stage. Should Santorum get a spot as well?
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby cheapseats » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
SLAYER666 wrote:
cheapseats wrote:She's actually pretty fiscally conservative, but she's absolutely had it with #1 to the point that she's basically a single issue voter now and she'll go Democrat in November no matter what, even though she thinks Hillary is full of shit for the most part.

I have an amazing number of friends and family that feel this way and are going to do this.

"...but no one from Wall Street is behind bars."

Only in the beltway and main stream media fantasy land is this a conservative/Republican position.

Well that comes down to the disconnect between the Trump/populist/underemployed white guy leg of the GOP stool and the corporate masters of the universe leg.

The same can be said for the immigration issue. food, construction and maintenance costs would go through the roof without immigrant (legal or otherwise) labor - the corporate leg knows this.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:36 pm

juansamuel wrote:I love the whole "if you'd rather vote for Bernie Sanders than Hillary, you probably hate women" narrative that's emerging.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... =DDMorning

http://www.pajiba.com/politics/an-allca ... linton.php

Interesting. I think there is some truth there though. If only because being a democrat clearly doesn't mean that you can't be sexist. The problem for Hillary has is that as much as she's a woman, she's also the face of the Democratic machine. If you're saddled with pantloads of college debt and can't get a job, or if Obama frustrated you because you thought he should have been able to change so much more, you're a lot more receptive to the degree of radical change Bernie is calling for.

I think Hillary will beat Sanders pretty convincingly in the minority vote. Which is ironic in itself as Sanders has a long civil rights history.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:38 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:#TRUSTED

Remember back when you thought Scott "dropout" Walker was the second coming of Ronnie Raygun? Your political instincts were just as on point then as they are now.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
SLAYER666 wrote:If you're going to let the other 7 on the main stage, might as well make it 8 and let Carly in.

I don't care if she debates or not, but she didn't meet the requirements (that were agreed to back in the summer by the RNC) to get on stage. Should Santorum get a spot as well?

Welp. Part of my argument goes out the window. I'm not sure how I missed it, but apparently Santorum dropped out.

Conspiracy back on. ABC just doesn't want Carly to embarrass Hillary!
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby juansamuel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Has anyone watched The Circus on Showtime? It features John Heilemann, Mark McKinnon and Mark Halperin talking about and following the presidential race. Anyway, last week's episode featured "The Outsiders" Cruz, Trump and Sanders. There was a scene where Cruz was holding court in a Christian bookstore and I could feel what it was like to be under his spell. I could see how could really captivate an audience if he had time to be within 10 feet of them. Well, he's had 8 months or so to do that in a small state. He's not going to be able to do that in the rest of the country. And I really [strike]believe[/strike] hope that's the case for the rest of the country.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:17 pm

if there are ppl who are upset that there are ppl from wall st or wherever else are not going to prison, then they would be best advised to vote against hillary clinton.

b/c:
1. she is wall street in a pant suit
2. she belongs in prison herself.

#HillaryClintonForPrison2016.
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Fiorina is responding with accusations the "game is rigged."

"I’ve been telling you the game is rigged. And here’s even more proof: The people of Iowa voted in an election this week, and I beat the establishment’s guys. Tens of thousands of you stood with us yesterday to demand a fair debate. But Disney’s ABC and the RNC have decided to keep me off the debate stage this weekend, caving to pressure from the same establishment candidates we beat who are afraid to debate me," Fiorina sent out in a campaign email Friday morning. "This isn’t about me. It’s about you. It’s about the people of New Hampshire who are about to vote. This is emblematic of the power that is being taken away from you every day?—?by the political class, the media establishment, and the bureaucracy. They don’t want your votes to count. They don’t want your voice to be heard. The network of George Stephanopoulos wants to tell you to sit down and shut up and elect Hillary Clinton."

"Well, guess what? ABC and the RNC and other candidates may keep me off that stage. But I will not be silenced. Our government is broken, and we know the establishment isn’t going to fix it. It’s time to stand together and say we won’t back down," she continued.

Yesterday New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and former GOP Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney publicly advocated on Fiorina's behalf.

Republican "We The People"s want Carly in the debate more than we want any othher candidate(s).
George Clintonopolis/ABC don't want Fiorina to call out Hillary Clinton's War on Women.

#Priorities
Last edited by BOUTSHATMADRAWZ on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:

"I’ve been telling you the game is rigged. And here’s even more proof: The people of Iowa voted in an election this week, and I beat the establishment’s guys. Tens of thousands of you stood with us yesterday to demand a fair debate. But Disney’s ABC and the RNC have decided to keep me off the debate stage this weekend, caving to pressure from the same establishment candidates we beat who are afraid to debate me," Fiorina sent out in a campaign email Friday morning. "This isn’t about me. It’s about you. It’s about the people of New Hampshire who are about to vote. This is emblematic of the power that is being taken away from you every day?—?by the political class, the media establishment, and the bureaucracy. They don’t want your votes to count. They don’t want your voice to be heard. The network of George Stephanopoulos wants to tell you to sit down and shut up and elect Hillary Clinton."

"Well, guess what? ABC and the RNC and other candidates may keep me off that stage. But I will not be silenced. Our government is broken, and we know the establishment isn’t going to fix it. It’s time to stand together and say we won’t back down," she continued.

Yesterday New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and former GOP Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney publicly advocated on Fiorina's behalf.

Republican "We The People"s want Carly in the debate more than we want any othher candidate(s).
George Clintonopolis/ABC don't want the world to know about Hillary Clinton's War on Women.

#Priorities

What are you talking about? There are 3 criteria to be able to join this debate. Carly met none of them. The criteria was set months ago apparently by ABC & the RNC. Where was all of this conspiracy talk when Fiorina was on the undercard in multiple debates? Was there no "Hillary Clinton's War on Women" then?

I pity people who keep getting face-smashed by logic, but then again, the world would be a more boring place without them.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:37 pm

I thought the Republicans bollixed up the debates pretty badly in '08 and '12, but they showed they were capable of more, much more, this time around.

The only upside this year is that anybody who votes for "Richard Nixon in a pant suit" who also is the lead enabler of a serial sexual harasser/assaulter can
STFU when they talk to me about other candidates' shortcomings.

#feministvictory16
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:The only upside this year is that anybody who votes for "Richard Nixon in a pant suit" who also is the lead enabler of a serial sexual harasser/assaulter can

Melania wears pant suits?
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:49 pm

elprof wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:The only upside this year is that anybody who votes for "Richard Nixon in a pant suit" who also is the lead enabler of a serial sexual harasser/assaulter can

Melania wears pant suits?

Pretty low odds of her being in the WH other than as a dinner guest, but yeah, good point.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:

George Clintonopolis/ABC don't want the world to know about Hillary Clinton's War on Women.

#Priorities

What are you talking about? There are 3 criteria to be able to join this debate. Carly met none of them. The criteria was set months ago apparently by ABC & the RNC. Where was all of this conspiracy talk when Fiorina was on the undercard in multiple debates? Was there no "Hillary Clinton's War on Women" then?

I pity people who keep getting face-smashed by logic, but then again, the world would be a more boring place without them.

White Supremacist Liberal Logic(sic) = "Rules" only apply to ppl with an (R) attached to their names

#HillaryClintonForPrison2016
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby elprof » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:25 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:White Supremacist Liberal Logic(sic) = "Rules" only apply to ppl with an (R) attached to their names

#HillaryClintonForPrison2016

Gotdamn you're fucking stoopid.

And let us know when Colin Powell and Condy are in prison. You know, they violated email rules long before HRD did.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby DDF » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:08 am

Dauber Dybinski wrote:

It's a moot point now, but I agree with Slayer that they should have let her debate. You don't have much of a chance to improve your poll numbers if you can't even get on the debate stage. That said, it's pretty clear that the RNC has been trying to get them to quit all along and now they are getting their wish.
DDF
All Pro

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 am

DDF wrote:That said, it's pretty clear that the RNC has been trying to get them to quit all along and now they are getting their wish.

Yes. Getting their wish save the two front runners. I honestly don't know how Reince Priebus keeps his job.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 am

DDF wrote:
Dauber Dybinski wrote:

It's a moot point now, but I agree with Slayer that they should have let her debate. You don't have much of a chance to improve your poll numbers if you can't even get on the debate stage. That said, it's pretty clear that the RNC has been trying to get them to quit all along and now they are getting their wish.

Were they trying to get her to quit when they agreed to the requirements back in the summer? I really don't understand why this is so hard to understand. They made the rules a while ago, and at this time she did not meet the requirements. The results are agnostic regarding specific candidates. Summary - if you do well in Iowa or in the polls. You get to participate. If you don't do well in Iowa and/or the polls, you don't get to participate. "Doing well" was defined a long time ago.

I would imagine that if they start changing the rules for one person, they could run into legal trouble by candidates who weren't granted exceptions.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:
DDF wrote:That said, it's pretty clear that the RNC has been trying to get them to quit all along and now they are getting their wish.

Yes. Getting their wish save the two front runners. I honestly don't know how Reince Priebus keeps his job.

What two are you referring to - Rubio and Bush?
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

What two are you referring to - Rubio and Bush?

Why would I call Bush and Rubio front runners? I think Priebus's wet dream is for Cruz and Trump to go away.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:

phpBB [video]
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby DDF » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Dauber Dybinski wrote:
Were they trying to get her to quit when they agreed to the requirements back in the summer? I really don't understand why this is so hard to understand. They made the rules a while ago, and at this time she did not meet the requirements. The results are agnostic regarding specific candidates. Summary - if you do well in Iowa or in the polls. You get to participate. If you don't do well in Iowa and/or the polls, you don't get to participate. "Doing well" was defined a long time ago.

I would imagine that if they start changing the rules for one person, they could run into legal trouble by candidates who weren't granted exceptions.

I don't think they anticipated having 17 candidates and still having 9 by the time New Hampshire came along. Adjustments should have been made to adapt to reality. The RNC can change the rules. Debate rules from last summer aren't carved in stone. Rand Paul got a break in December.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/c ... ans-216727
DDF
All Pro

Postby Dauber Dybinski » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:03 pm

DDF wrote:
Dauber Dybinski wrote:

I don't think they anticipated having 17 candidates and still having 9 by the time New Hampshire came along. Adjustments should have been made to adapt to reality. The RNC can change the rules. Debate rules from last summer aren't carved in stone. Rand Paul got a break in December.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/c ... ans-216727

Thanks for the article. I kept looking for this story but I couldn't find it. It is good to know that they can/do amend the rules. However, I am still ok with them not letting her in. Carly being a woman should have nothing to do with it. I was glad to see the stage a little de-cluttered.
Dauber Dybinski
Starter

Postby DDF » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 pm

I don't disagree that the field needed to be winnowed down. I just think they shouldn't have had their thumb on the scale. They shouldn't be "picking winners and losers," as they're fond of saying.
DDF
All Pro

Next

Return to Whatever