Sturgill Simpson

Entertainment Forum

Sturgill Simpson

Postby juansamuel » Fri May 16, 2014 10:57 pm

phpBB [video]

He's my favorite new artist lately. If you wanted some Waylon Jennings with a little bit of Dwight Yoakam and Keith Whitley...on hallucinogens, then you have this guy.

phpBB [video]
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Re: Sturgill Simpson

Postby BOUTSHATMADRAWZ » Sun May 25, 2014 5:46 am

ANY RELATION TO WILLY STURGILL?

HED PROLLY LIKE IF HE DID A COVER OF WE ARE FAMILY
"He (OBAMA) could piss on the fanbois' backs and they'd say it was raining due to global warming caused by income inequality." PACER_FAN 12FEB2014
BOUTSHATMADRAWZ
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 pm

BOUTSHATMADRAWZ wrote:ANY RELATION TO WILLY STURGILL?

HED PROLLY LIKE IF HE DID A COVER OF WE ARE FAMILY

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo: :laffo:
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:11 pm

dern I love this description of his music and it's always good to hear a Keith Whitley reference - they sound very similar!

good job juansamuel!

" If you wanted some Waylon Jennings with a little bit of Dwight Yoakam and Keith Whitley...on hallucinogens, then you have this guy."
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 am

Great call.

I <3 Spotify.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:42 am

He's pretty funny on that cartoon show about his family.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:13 am

Sold out on 10/10 @ Terminal West

Opening for Jason Isbell at the Ryman in October. It's sold out.

Jason Isbell is playing the Ryman Friday, Saturday and Sunday in late October. Different opening act each night. The Sturgill Simpson show is Sunday night and was added due to popular demand. All three are sold out.

juansamuel = Starmaker
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Sold out on 10/10 @ Terminal West

Jason Isbell is playing the Ryman Friday, Saturday and Sunday in late October. Different opening act each night. The Sturgill Simpson show is Sunday night and was added due to popular demand. All three are sold out.

juansamuel = Starmaker

Isbell opening for John Prine at the Fox on October 18. Get on it.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:06 am

juansamuel wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:Sold out on 10/10 @ Terminal West

juansamuel = Starmaker

Isbell opening for John Prine at the Fox on October 18. Get on it.

GCSU Family Day :frustration:
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm

juansamuel wrote:

He's my favorite new artist lately. If you wanted some Waylon Jennings with a little bit of Dwight Yoakam and Keith Whitley...on hallucinogens, then you have this guy.

Your genius knows no boundary - good interview with Sturgill and the Oxford American where he references listening to Keith Whitley:

Regardless of your views on the genre now, you grew up on traditional country music, much of which was considered mainstream at the time.

I listened to Keith Whitley and Randy Travis, Ricky Skaggs, people like that. Traditional music could still get on the radio up until the late Eighties. But when Keith died, that kind of opened the door for Garth Brooks to happen, and it’s been pretty much a shit show from that point on. I kind of tuned out, and I’ve listened to pretty much everything else but country for the last 25 years.

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/ ... rn-sounds/
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:
juansamuel wrote:

Your genius knows no boundary - good interview with Sturgill and the Oxford American where he references listening to Keith Whitley:

Regardless of your views on the genre now, you grew up on traditional country music, much of which was considered mainstream at the time.

I listened to Keith Whitley and Randy Travis, Ricky Skaggs, people like that. Traditional music could still get on the radio up until the late Eighties. But when Keith died, that kind of opened the door for Garth Brooks to happen, and it’s been pretty much a shit show from that point on. I kind of tuned out, and I’ve listened to pretty much everything else but country for the last 25 years.

Thank you, thank you.

You wanna go see him in Macon on November 8?
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:
juansamuel wrote:

Just found out his name on Instagram is @kief_whitley
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Great show...such a good time.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am

Sturgill's new album is streaming on NPR's website - I gave it a listen last night and it's badass.

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/07/473237504 ... e-to-earth
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:42 am

Cortez the Killer wrote:Sturgill's new album is streaming on NPR's website - I gave it a listen last night and it's badass.

Listening right now. I had misgivings because it was going to be such a departure from his last two albums which I love, but so far I think "badass" is a pretty apt description.

Going to see him in Knoxville and now am really looking forward to it. Even more.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:
Cortez the Killer wrote:Sturgill's new album is streaming on NPR's website - I gave it a listen last night and it's badass.

Listening right now. I had misgivings because it was going to be such a departure from his last two albums which I love, but so far I think "badass" is a pretty apt description.

Going to see him in Knoxville and now am really looking forward to it. Even more.

It's not even that much of a departure, really. He just added horns and hell, Merle Haggard did that from time to time. I love it so far.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:36 pm

juansamuel wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

It's not even that much of a departure, really. He just added horns and hell, Merle Haggard did that from time to time. I love it so far.

Well, it sounds like a departure to me, but not as dramatic as when I read his comments about it. Still, it doesn't have the country characteristics that the other two do. I love it.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Return to TV, Music, Movies