Watching Movies - 2015

Entertainment Forum

Watching Movies - 2015

Postby SLAYER666 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Just rented The Interview on Vudu instead of watching that abortion the NFL showcased between Carolina and Arizona.

Solid B. If you like Seth Rogan you will like this. If you don't like Seth Rogan you will not like this.

I like Seth Rogan, so I liked this.

Neighbors and This is the End are both better.
SLAYER666
Legend

Re: Watching Movies - 2015

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:07 pm

My annual "oh shit, the calendar flipped" movie review....

Hoosier Fan wrote:The Gambler-C
A mess. I was a little concerned going in because I hadn't heard much good about it, but I trusted Wahlberg and Goodman. Big mistake. The script is a mess, direction all over the place and I didn't really get the main character's motivation behind everything he was doing. It is the first time that I have ever seen Goodman in a crap role.

The first 20 minutes was OK, first gambling scene and first classroom scene. It was all downhill after that.

When you see it come up on On Demand or HBO or Netflix, don't bother.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Wahlbergs career seems to be going backwards. I'm now starting to assume anything he's in is a horrible cash grab.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Joe Sieve » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:08 pm

cheapseats wrote:Wahlbergs career seems to be going backwards. I'm now starting to assume anything he's in is a horrible cash grab.

The Fighter was pretty good. It was comical that he was considered lead actor and Christian Bale the supporting actor. But, Wahlberg was fine in that.
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby elprof » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:15 pm

Three people I know told me they loved The Gambler. Two told me they hated it.

Hard to rely on the reviews of others in many cases. I don't know how many people told me they hated Magnolia before I saw it. It's my favorite movie. Good thing I didn't listen.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:04 am

elprof wrote:Hard to rely on the reviews of others in many cases.

Mos' def. I'll amend my review.

Go ahead and see it in the theater or On Demand or through Netflix or on the Twitter. I don't care. Just don't blame me if you say, "WTF. That's two hours of my life I could have spent washing my dog."
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 am

Profie doesn't have a dog
Millwood
All Pro

Postby elprof » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:29 am

Millwood wrote:Profie doesn't have a dog

True dat. And if I did he'd be washing his own damn self.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:38 am

elprof wrote:
Millwood wrote:Profie doesn't have a dog

True dat. And if I did he'd be washing his own damn self.

It's a euphemism.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:50 am

If profie did have a dog it'd prolly be one of those wiener dogs. That's my guess.
Millwood
All Pro

Postby elprof » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:50 am

Millwood wrote:If profie did have a dog it'd prolly be one of those wiener dogs. That's my guess.

Fuck no. Those aren't even dogs. The only dog I'd ever get would be a border collie.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 pm

And what kind of elephant-sized dog takes two hours to wash?
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 pm

not for nothin' but you're arguing about a guy nicknamed "Marky Mark" being a great actor - there's a reason my wife likes him a ton (lots of muscles and he stands around in his underwear.)

He's a mediocre actor and only if you give him a role from Chowdah-town.

I watched a Netflix documentary called Spinning Plates which was excellent - it profiled 3 restaurants and was very much not about cooking. The first restaurant was Alinea which is one of the best in the world but also a buffet place in Iowa and a Mexican place in New Mexico. Some succeed and some don't but the point is driven home that these types of places aren't about profit and loss but rather about family and community and how things come full circle - 90 minutes, check it out. It's worth it.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby elprof » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:17 pm

I don't know that anyone was "arguing" about his being a great actor. I thought he was awesome in The Fighter and Boogie Nights.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:32 am

The Trip to Italy - Sequel to The Trip. Equally successful, plus Italy is prettier than the UK. A-

To the extent that it needs to advertise, Italy should use this film. Absolutely gorgeous.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=32622
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 am

American Sniper-A
Great performances all around. I think the writer and director did a great job portraying all of the different types of casualties of war.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Watched back to documentaries on Muscle Shoals music scene and the 1970s group Big Star.

A+ for both.

Everyone on this bord will like both. The music alone is worth the 90 minutes each. Both are on the Netflix, currently.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
elprof wrote:Hard to rely on the reviews of others in many cases.

Mos' def. I'll amend my review.

Go ahead and see it in the theater or On Demand or through Netflix or on the Twitter. I don't care. Just don't blame me if you say, "WTF. That's two hours of my life I could have spent washing my dog."

I have no idea what The Gambler is about but the best movie about poker is and always will be Rounders.

consider yourself .02 cents richer!
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:30 pm

chad kilroy wrote:Watched back to documentaries on Muscle Shoals music scene and the 1970s group Big Star.

A+ for both.

Everyone on this bord will like both. The music alone is worth the 90 minutes each. Both are on the Netflix, currently.

I've watched Muscle Shoals about 10 times - it is so awesome.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:32 pm

The wife was working today so I decided to see if some old favorites were on Netflix.

In my Top 10 movies of all time is Things to do in Denver When You're Dead with Andy Garcia, Christoper Lloyd, Christoper Walken and some other dipshits.

A+

Very much True Romance-ish with maybe a little Usual Suspects / Pulp Fiction mixed in. The dialogue is A+

Free on Netflix.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:31 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:The wife was working today so I decided to see if some old favorites were on Netflix.

In my Top 10 movies of all time is Things to do in Denver When You're Dead with Andy Garcia, Christoper Lloyd, Christoper Walken and some other dipshits.

A+

Very much True Romance-ish with maybe a little Usual Suspects / Pulp Fiction mixed in. The dialogue is A+

Free on Netflix.

I've always wondered if that was any good. It's the title of a (great) Warren Zevon song and a great cast. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Boyhood-A++++ for imagination and creativity. A+ for the execution. Not much happens except life, but I liked it a lot and the actor that played the boy/young man was great.
Highly recommend unless you need boobies and/or 'splosions. Which I sometimes do.....
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:35 am

Very underrated performances by the dipshits in that flick IMGDO...
Millwood
All Pro

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Cortez the Killer wrote:
chad kilroy wrote:Watched back to documentaries on Muscle Shoals music scene and the 1970s group Big Star.

A+ for both.

I've watched Muscle Shoals about 10 times - it is so awesome.

Finally got a chance to watch this. All of the above. May take me a bit to watch it 10 times, but I'll definitely watch the first hour a bunch.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:57 am

Primer-B
Well, I say I like different and I got it. Guy on Grantland said it's a masterpiece. Not so sure. Great "time machine" concept. Discovered by accident by a couple of engineers, then veers out of control, but in a very mundane, every day way, not a cataclysmic, "end of the world as we know it" way. Trouble is, I never knew what exactly was happening. I thought it was me, so I went and read rottentomatoes and imdb and it turns out that pretty much nobody else did either. Glad I watched it. Some of the more adventurous on this board might give it a shot, but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Agree re: Primer. was very well done for a low budget movie, but if you hadn't read a batch of time travel sci-fi and such, it would have been really hard to wrap your head around.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:50 pm

I made true on my promise and watched Rounders (again) - A+

Just a great film with excellent dialogue but I'll tell you that it occurred to me that maybe Matt Damon wasn't the best person for the lead role - he's very clunky. Almost robotic - similar to the Bourne movies where he's *supposed* to be robotic, trained, etc.,

Strange but anyway, the movie still kicks ASS! Ed Norton and John Turturro and John Malkovich as Teddy KGB are kickass.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:32 pm

From August 23, 2014
Hoosier Fan wrote:Begin Again-A/A- I just loved this movie. A little cliched, but still good. I just to hug Keira Knightley.
The music wasn't quite as good as say, Crazy Heart or Inside Lewyn Davis, but the characters were way more likable than the ones in Lewyn Davis.

From tonight--> ^^^^This^^^^

Except maybe the music is better than Inside Lewin Davis. Lose the "-".
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:42 pm

cheapseats wrote:World War Z: B An overly formulaic high budget zombie movie with great action sequences (large and small), and acting. But you knew all that. It's a shame they didn't follow the book more closely, would have made a lot better movie. I Am Legend with the ending they didn't choose to use is still the best zombie movie that isn't Night of the Living Dead.

NO. I must have started this movie and fallen asleep or turned it off or something b/c I decided to watch it again yesterday and it is just so dumb and unbelievable. It starts off promising but then it just becomes too much.

SLAYER666 wrote:Fury = exactly what it looks like. Fine acting, solid filmmaking. Followed the standard formula, not a ton of surprises. Decent way to kill 135 minutes. B

I pretty much would write the review exactly like this but I don't know about the "fine" acting. I swear Brad Pitt alternated between no accent and that bad Southern accent he used in Inglorious Bastards. But hey, it's a WWII movie named after a tank and I'll watch that all day.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:16 pm

Still Alice-A-

Brilliant performance by Julianne Moore and a nice turn by Kristen Stewart. Hits close to home, so I felt like I knew what the characters were thinking/feeling a lot of the time. Was not as powerful as Away From Her, but still strong. I haven't seen all the Best Actress performances, but if she wins it won't be an upset.

Closing Credits song==> If I Had a Boat written by Lyle Lovett, sung by Karen Elson, Jack White's ex. She does it proud. A
Last edited by Hoosier Fan on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:10 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Still Alice-A-

Brilliant performance by Julianne Moore and a nice turn by Kristen Stewart. Hits close to home, so I felt like I knew what the characters were thinking/feeling a lot of the time. Was not as powerful as Away From Her, but still strong. I haven't seen all the Best Actress performances, but if she wins it won't be an upset.

Closing Credits song==> If I Had a Boat written by Lyle Lovett, sung by Karen Elson, Jack White's ex. She does it proud. A

Away From Her-A-

Brilliant performance by Julie Christie and a nice turn by the actor who played her husband and Olympia Dukakis. Also hit close to home, but in watching it now vs 9 years ago I realize that it was pretty sanitized. The facilities aren't as nice as the one in the movie and not everybody with Alzheimer's manages to look as pretty as Julie Christie. Still captures the sadness, helplessness and frustration pretty well.

Closing Credits song==> Helpless written by Neil Young, sung by kd lang. She does it super-proud. A+

Interesting parallel....
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Unforgiven-A+

That's all.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby H.A. » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:10 pm

None of you are going to admit to seeing 50 Shades this weekend?
H.A.
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:34 pm

H.A. wrote:None of you are going to admit to seeing 50 Shades this weekend?

Not this weekend, but I will absolutely cop to seeing it when it's "free" (HBO or Netflix)

Rating:
R (for strong sexual content including dialogue, some unusual behavior and graphic nudity, and for language)

Genre:
Romance (lol)

I am wayyyyy in....
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

I hear the first sex scene is 44 minutes into the movie.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:39 pm

He who smelt it...
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Joe Sieve » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:19 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Unforgiven-A+

That's all.

Always loved this scene. I know Hackman was the bad guy and all, but damn...:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bLR04OkC-I[/youtube]
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby Millwood » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 am

The book was sooooo much better. Character developement sucked, the editing was horrible, and the lighting was lacking. The boom and gaffing were ok though.

I give it 1 1/2 boners.
Millwood
All Pro

Postby elprof » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:08 pm

I loved the key grip.

(That's what she said.)
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:08 pm

The Imitation Game-A
Loved this movie. All the actors are great (I still want to hug Keira Knightley) and the story is a good taut drama done very well. WWII was still fresh in the collective memory when I was growing up, but we've made so much d%^n war since, it's kind of started to fade in memory. The news footage brings it back in vivid horrific detail. And that was just a small portion of the European theater.

I may or may not research how much artistic license they took with the actual events because apparently it's > 0. I don't really care, I would definitely recommend the movie.

Also highly recommend the Regal Avalon 12 and their big, comfy reclining chairs. Good place to go if you want to get your snob on.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:12 am

Birdman - A-

90% of this movie was excellent and very well acted and also interesting camera work - lots of scenes where the camera shot goes on and on continually. And the subject matter of re-envisioning the work of Raymond Carver on Broadway was cool - early in the movie, they are rehearsing a scene from What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, which is one of my favorite Carver short stories.

The ending was ambiguous and unsatisfying and seemed hurried - but still an excellent move with terrific acting by Michael Keaton, Ed Norton, Naomi Watts, Zach Galfianakis, etc.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:46 am

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 was dumb. I still laughed a good bit.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
Boyhood-A++++ for imagination and creativity. A+ for the execution. Not much happens except life, but I liked it a lot and the actor that played the boy/young man was great.
Highly recommend unless you need boobies and/or 'splosions. Which I sometimes do.....

Just saw it today - it was excellent and I applaud the logistics of how the movie was made. Would probably give it an A-

It was ordinary and very *real* emotionally and as mentioned, the logistics of not having a subtitle that said "2 Years Later" or a new actor/actress that looks similar to one of the others as they got older was refreshing.

I thought Ethan Hawke and Patrician Arquette were amazing - the non-professional actors and actresses took a little away for me and to be frank, I thought the boy (Mason Jr.) was not very likeable.

But it was a very good film - like looking through a family's photo album.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:52 am

Cortez the Killer wrote:Birdman - A-

90% of this movie was excellent and very well acted and also interesting camera work - lots of scenes where the camera shot goes on and on continually. And the subject matter of re-envisioning the work of Raymond Carver on Broadway was cool - early in the movie, they are rehearsing a scene from What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, which is one of my favorite Carver short stories.

The ending was ambiguous and unsatisfying and seemed hurried - but still an excellent move with terrific acting by Michael Keaton, Ed Norton, Naomi Watts, Zach Galfianakis, etc.

I'm not sure what I wrote, but this is what I should have written about Birdman.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Human Capital-A

Had to scratch my foreign film itch. A great way to do it. One plot line got wrapped up a little too neatly, but outside of that, great writing and great performances. Really, sorry to say, puts most American movies to shame, but it was based on an American novel. Highly recommend.

Italian entry for best foreign film at the oscars, not nominated though.

Sidebar-about two days after v2's graduation I started lobbying to move ITP. Midtown Art and UA Tara are two big reasons. It won't happen while they're in school, but....
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Give the plaza some love too. They have rocky horror on weekends and do great movies festivals - old monster movies, they did every James Bond in order a couple years ago.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:44 pm

cheapseats wrote:Give the plaza some love too. They have rocky horror on weekends and do great movies festivals - old monster movies, they did every James Bond in order a couple years ago.

Good call. It's just been awhile since I've been there.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:44 pm

cheapseats wrote:Give the plaza some love too. They have rocky horror on weekends and do great movies festivals - old monster movies, they did every James Bond in order a couple years ago.

Good call. It's just been awhile since I've been there.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Karate Kid III might be the best bad movie of all time. It blows St Elmo's Fire right out of the water.

You really owe it to yourself to watch that work of art if given the chance. Career killing performances by the entire cast. It's delightfully awful. What a terribly good flick.

A++++
Millwood
All Pro

Postby chad kilroy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Spongebob aka American Sponge A-, Antonio Banderas' best work in years, Plankton deserved an Oscar nom

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter C+, not the worst thing I've ever seen but gotta think Calvon Coolidge: Silent Assassin wouldn't been better.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster A , documentary on the Netflix that might make you think steroids and PEDs aren't that bad. This was really well done.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:41 am

Inherent Vice-Not sure, if you held a gun to my head, I guess I'd say B+. Interesting, but confusing. I had to rewind multiple times to understand what just happened.

Some of the characters were over-the-top caricatures, but a tremendous cast. Lots of hawtness and pot-smoking. I'll watch it again, although at ~2.5 hours, it may be a while. Some of the more adventurous among us will probably like it. Have not read the book or anything by Pynchon, but I guess his books are hard to follow also.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Next

Return to TV, Music, Movies