Watching Movies - 2015

Entertainment Forum

Re: Watching Movies - 2015

Postby cheapseats » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:20 am

Pynchon is not as convoluted as Don DeLillo, more like Cormac McCarthy in the "serious novelist" group. Pretty readable, but lots of weird connections and shit going on under the hood that you could rabbithole into. I picked up Inherent Vice at thanksgiving, and haven't gotten into it at all, even thought it's a straightforward PI novel with a stoner as the hero. The same thing happened with Michael Chabon's Telegraph Avenue.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Red Army-A+ You hockey guys may have already known all of this, but great documentary about the Soviet National Hockey team, esp focusing on Slava Fetisov. Gripping stuff.

Citizenfour-A Really well done. Whether you think he's a hero or traitor, this is "ripped from the headlines" stuff. I'll have to read more to decide the hero/traitor part, but at least this will prompt me to read more, which I wouldn't have done otherwise.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:23 am

Furious 7 A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Imitation Game - I can't believe it didn't win ALL the awards
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:48 am

St. Vincent-A

Maybe A- because it is sappy, but the characters are all great. I always love Naomi Watts, I liked Melissa McCarthy more than I expected to and Bill Murray.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri May 01, 2015 8:50 am

Globe on Screen Julius Caesar-A+

Filmed at the Shakespeare Globe theater where we are going to see Much Ado About Nothing later this year. More of a play than a movie. Great play and great actors that you've, at least I've, never heard of.

One-time showing at the Midtown Art. I think there were 15-20 people there.

Interestingly it is rated G despite multiple bloody stabbings on stage. I guess you don't see none of them subversive breasts and vaginas and nobody's smoking so.....
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon May 18, 2015 9:18 am

Rabbit Hole-A
One of those good movies that I'll see only once. I've known about it since it came out, but the subject matter (a couple dealing with a 4 YO son's death 8 months after the fact) kept me at bay.
Great acting, great cast, including Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhardt, who were tremendous, and the guy from Whiplash. Very well done, if you think you can watch.

I'm not even sure I could get into character for it if I was one of the actors.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 am

Boyhood- A+
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Mon May 18, 2015 11:06 am

juansamuel wrote:Boyhood- A+

I'm sold. I'll be watching this wednesday night at 8:30 based on this review.
Millwood
All Pro

Postby cheapseats » Mon May 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Dirty Girl - B- high school bad girl and overweight gay boy get assigned to "raise" a 5lb bag of flower baby. Go on a road trip to find the father that she's never met. Starts out kind of dark comedy, but turns overly sweet and predictable. Mila Jovitch is her single mom. Dwight Yoakam is really good as the gay kid's abusive dad and Tim McGraw is ok the girl's absentee father - so that's kind of weird.

Get Low - A Robert Duval is a backwoods hermit with a secret, Sissy Spacek is the long time ago girlfriend returned to town, Bill Murray is the shysterish funeral home director who Duval hires to throw a funeral party while he's still alive to let go of his past. It's got no unexpected plot twists to speak of and you've seen Duval and Murray in exactly the same characters dozens of times, but they're so damn good at those characters that the movie works any way.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:31 am

Leviathan-A+++

Cannot recommend highly enough. Epic story of rampant corruption, despair and hopelessness in a flailing empire set in Putin's Russia. Really, really well done. Before we get too puffy and say, "see how miserable life in Russia is", it was loosely based on an incident that happened in Colorado. At least inspired by. The cinematography is spectacular.

I'm going to watch again this weekend.

Warning-if subtitles bother you, this isn't the movie for you.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Edit: I don't quite know what happened with the last time I posted, but I didn't finish the thought.

No No: A Dockumentary

A helluva good look at the life and times of Dock Ellis, the pitcher who, among other things, was high on LSD the day he pitched a no-hitter. It got me thinking a lot about substance abuse and the way we perceive our memories and the way others perceive them. I was thinking about how awesome a story he had since he was trippin' balls while pitching a no-hitter. He might look back on it and say how ashamed he was that he was so messed up and couldn't take the mound without chemical enhancements.

My friends like to tell stories about me getting into confrontations with other people while I was drunk and the way they tell them, you can tell they think it's really funny. I hear them and I'm just filled with regret.

Anyway, this was an excellent film and it's on Netflix.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:40 pm

juansamuel wrote:Edit: I don't quite know what happened with the last time I posted, but I didn't finish the thought.

No No: A Dockumentary

A helluva good look at the life and times of Dock Ellis, the pitcher who, among other things, was high on LSD the day he pitched a no-hitter. It got me thinking a lot about substance abuse and the way we perceive our memories and the way others perceive them. I was thinking about how awesome a story he had since he was trippin' balls while pitching a no-hitter. He might look back on it and say how ashamed he was that he was so messed up and couldn't take the mound without chemical enhancements.

My friends like to tell stories about me getting into confrontations with other people while I was drunk and the way they tell them, you can tell they think it's really funny. I hear them and I'm just filled with regret.

Anyway, this was an excellent film and it's on Netflix.

Good call. Now when we talk about the old days we laugh about some of stupid shit we did and when the laughter dies down I usually say, "Gawd, I was a dumbass."

We also agree that if our kids pulled the s&*t we did we'd either have them in therapy, rehab or both.

I think they're pulling the same s^&t, just on a much smaller scale.

It's in the queue. Thanks!
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Joe Sieve » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:47 pm

Am I the only one who has seen Ex Machina? That is a really good movie. I know the subject matter has been covered countless times with Blade Runner, A.I., and many others but this movie really drives home the point that if you can really and truly create something human-like, then it's not going to be content cleaning floors and fixing us sandwiches. Quite intense, a little claustrophobic, and really well done.
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:25 am

Joe Sieve wrote:Am I the only one who has seen Ex Machina? That is a really good movie. I know the subject matter has been covered countless times with Blade Runner, A.I., and many others but this movie really drives home the point that if you can really and truly create something human-like, then it's not going to be content cleaning floors and fixing us sandwiches. Quite intense, a little claustrophobic, and really well done.

IF I get to a theater before it's gone, it's next on my list, but that looks like it's going to be challenging, so it will probably be at home viewing. Would have rather seen it on the big screen.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Joe Sieve » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:36 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Inherent Vice-Not sure, if you held a gun to my head, I guess I'd say B+. Interesting, but confusing. I had to rewind multiple times to understand what just happened.

Some of the characters were over-the-top caricatures, but a tremendous cast. Lots of hawtness and pot-smoking. I'll watch it again, although at ~2.5 hours, it may be a while. Some of the more adventurous among us will probably like it. Have not read the book or anything by Pynchon, but I guess his books are hard to follow also.

Really nice interview with Paul Thomas Anderson on Marc Maron's podcast where they go into Pynchon a good bit. Highly recommended. This podcast episode won't be available for free for much longer, so get while the gettin's good:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_565_-_paul_thomas_anderson
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Somersault-C

After reading a review of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, I followed a trail to like movies and ended up on an Aussie actress named Abbie Cornish. This was supposedly her breakout film, an independent Aussie sexual awakening, coming-of-age film with really favorable reviews (83% on rottentomatoes). Never went anywhere. Do not get it. She was fine. Nice perky breasts. Would not recommend. Will not watch again, but I do have a couple more of her movies in queue.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Time for a netflix queue dump:

Frankie and Grace - A. Just watched 1st season on netflix. Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin are still fine comic actresses and the story line, acting and writing for this show are all quite good. Lemon party trigger warning - there is old guy kissing between the decided they were gay after decades of marriage ex-husbands played by Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson.

Hector and the Search for Happiness - A- Simon Pegg's "serious" movie has him playing a London psychiatrist who leaves it all behind to travel the world searching for the secret to happiness. Good acting, photography and story - solid date movie.

The Butler - A. Forrest Whittaker is always awesome, Forrest Gump like single character's actions across the sweep of civil rights. The movie is a bit melodramatic and obviously built to win oscars and has some story bits that just kind of appear and disappear (Oprah as his wife boozing and cheating). But a solid movie anyway.

Trip to the Moon - depends. A colorized and restored version of the 1902 film (colors were originally hand-tinted a frame at a time on a version of the movie). Music by Air fits much better to a modern ear than period organ or piano music that you often get with silent movies. Interesting seeing the differences (very small sets, stationary camera, play-line staging) between a more than 100 year old special effects blockbuster of it's day. 15 minutes long, so not a big investment of your time.

Rosewater - A John Stewart produced and directed this quite good prison thriller based on the 4 month imprisonment of an Iranian born journalist after the last Iranian election because he was a spy, which he "admited" in an interview on The Daily Show. Very good acting in a fairly creepy, claustrophobic movie.

The Interview - B mindless fun, exactly what I expected it to be.

Frank - A odd indy movie about a band lead by a guy who always wears a big, paper mache head and their quest to make a landmark album. laugh out loud funny at times, eventually becoming a wistful, thoughtful movie about fame and art.

Four Rooms - C to A, depending. A 4 director, 4 story vignette style movie based on a single night for a hotel bellboy. the first two bits are mediocre. Robert Rodriguez's story with Antonio Banderas leaving his kids in the bellhops hands to have a night out on the town is funny as hell, and Tarantino's scene with him playing an actor who bets his classic convertible against a friend cutting off his own finger is classic Tarantino.

Transsiberian - A Woody Harrelson is a doofy tourist traveling across Russia with his previously wild party girl wife after a mission trip. They run into drug smugglers and russian mobsters, many plot twists and such ensue. really, really good triller.

Stonehearst Asylum - B A solid thriller, set in a victorian insane asylum. With a solid cast and the same director as the amazing Transsiberian, this should have been an A+. Still a good movie, but a disappointment.

Journey to the West - A- Chinese kung-fu fable, directed by the same guy who did Shaolin Soccer. Apparently there is all kinds of Bhudist historical tie in stuff going on in this story of a wanna-be demon fighter learning his trade. funny, crazy gory, great action sequences.

The Babadook - A Creepy haunted house movie with single mom raising a weird-ass little freak of a son when they are terrorized by a monster who appears out of the scariest kids popup book ever.

Seven Psychopaths - A+ (streaming on amazon prime) Funny, bloody, great dialog, smart plot twists from the director of In Bruges. Everyone in the cast is just outstanding. If The Usual Suspects and Kill Bill married and had an wicked-smart 12 year old kid who told ridiculously over the top fart jokes, it would be this movie. About as as good as a movie gets. If you don't love this movie, you are defective.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Gus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Inside Out - Saw this with my daughter while Mrs Gus took the boys to see Jurassic World. it was actually pretty good and there were people crying behind us at the end of the movie - which my daughter didn't quite understand, but she's 8.
Gus
All Pro

Postby Bmack » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Gus wrote:Inside Out - Saw this with my daughter while Mrs Gus took the boys to see Jurassic World. it was actually pretty good and there were people crying behind us at the end of the movie - which my daughter didn't quite understand, but she's 8.

Took my 6 and 8 yo daughters to see it also. They liked it. They'd probably like it more two years from now.
Bmack
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:49 am

Entourage-B+
If you like the teevee show, ignore the reviews. It is what we thought it is. Obscene wealth, decadence and debauchery with a few lol moments. Predictable.
Not Hamlet. Lots of hotness in various states of undress. Rhonda Rousey's cameo is pretty good.

Be forewarned, it gets almost a full letter grade because it's something I share with v2. Much like Toy Story back in the day. Proceed with caution.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Scrotal Recall - B+ British series carried on Netflix that I finally talked the wife into watching after months of giggling over the name. Good looking "nice guy" finds out he has chlamydia. Episodic show is him contacting everyone he's slept with in the last year and a half, with the show mostly flashbacks. His roomates are a total poonhound and his "best friend" a near dead ringer for 80s Paula Abdul who has a secret crush on him. We binge watched the first 3 last night.

cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 pm

cheapseats wrote:Scrotal Recall - B+ British series carried on Netflix that I finally talked the wife into watching after months of giggling over the name. Good looking "nice guy" finds out he has chlamydia. Episodic show is him contacting everyone he's slept with in the last year and a half, with the show mostly flashbacks. His roomates are a total poonhound and his "best friend" a near dead ringer for 80s Paula Abdul who has a secret crush on him. We binge watched the first 3 last night.

Classic. I was giggling over the name recently my own self. I'll check it out....
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:00 am

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl-A
Great indie flick. Lots of funny and the right amount of sad w/Connie Britton, Nick Offerman and Molly Shannon in meaty and unexpected supporting roles of the three teens who WERE the show. Will see again.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Got to check out a few Netflix movies over the rainy weekend.

Big Lebowski - A+ have seen it before, a few times, but it's always fun to watch again if it's been a while. This isn't Vietnam - we have rules here.

The Interview - B, I guess. yeah, it was exactly what I thought it would be and kind of funny at times and over the top but anyway, a little too clownish. my wife said "I bet James Franco is weird as shit in real life" and there is just something about Seth Rogen that drives me nut. sure, he can't act but he always gets this same face on, like a sarcastic half-sneer that irritates the shit out of me. oh well.

Pumping Iron - A+ I had been meaning to watch this documentary for a long time and never got around to it - I don't know what it was but it was really good and imminently watchable. Yes, you should get ready to see very large men lifting weights with no shirt on but it was really a good flick. and at 28 years old, seeing how his career has progressed, there is no doubt that Arnold Schwarzeneggar was going to get there - he is incredibly charismatic and you can just tell that he was going to become a success.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:50 am

From 2012(!):
Shame-C- What a waste. I always get sucked into these artsy "soft pore cornography" (thank you Archie Bunker) flicks on the premise that they have some artistic value. They usually don't and this one was no exception.

I heard Carey Mulligan on Fresh Air talking about doing this movie and thought maybe I had missed something the first time through. I didn't.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:20 am

What We Do In The Shadows-A
Hilarious, and I mean spewing coffee, or whatever your drinking, New Zealand indie that is a mockumentary/reality tv send up. I almost went to see it when it was at Midtown Art, so was thrilled that it was showing on a flight I was on. Hi-lar-i-ous....

Focus-B
It is what it is, formulaic and predictable, but Will Smith is likable enough to make it work. Worth the time, but don't work too hard to see it.

Far From the Madding Crowd-A-
It's been a while since I've watched a period piece. If you don't like them, don't bother, if you do this is certainly worth your while. I'm becoming a big Carey Mulligan fan.
Again, I almost went to see it in the theater, so was happy to see it on another flight I was on. Will probably watch again with the Mrs as it is right up her alley, no boobies or
explosions...
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:21 am

The Babadook - A

I might not sleep for days. I'll put it up against any horror film ever made.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 pm

SLAYER666 wrote:The Babadook - A

The movie dude on Fresh Air said it was his favorite movie of 2014. I've paused on it several times, but never pulled the trigger. I think I will next time.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:20 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:
SLAYER666 wrote:The Babadook - A

The movie dude on Fresh Air said it was his favorite movie of 2014. I've paused on it several times, but never pulled the trigger. I think I will next time.

It's quite good. creepy and does a nice job of balancing the supernatural vs. somebody psychotic plot turn. The wife doesn't like horror movies to any extent and liked it.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:29 am

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - B Kiera Knightly and Steve Carrel are both really good, in a formula rom-com thrown into a world-ending apocalypse with great driveby characters (Rob Cordry, Patton Oswald). Worth watching, but the 3rd act has a hugely jarring plot hole that requires zero knowledge of civil aviation and/or geography. Would have been a much, much better movie if they'd skipped the 2nd act road trip and just made the story the end of the world party with Cordry and Oswald.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:25 am

The End of the Tour-A-/B+ When David Foster Wallace's fame peaked I had two <4 YO so was pretty oblivious to all things pop culture outside of Sesame Street, Barney and Disney, but after reading and hearing a couple of reviews, 1/2 good, 1/2 lukewarm, I was intrigued. Also wanted to see it because of the actors. I liked it, but it was a little like, "what just happened" at the end. Good to see young actors stretching out a little and doing things a little out of the mainstream. Jason Segel didn't look or sound anything like the dude on How I Met Your Mother.

0 explosions

0 boobies
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:00 am

Bride and Prejudice - A (for what it is). Jan Austen goes Bollywood. I can't even.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 pm

Clouds of Sils Maria-B/B-
Good acting and it started out pretty well, then it just turned into kind of an overly emotive circle jerk. Too bad because I like Juliette Binoche and Kristen Stewart. All three main characters did something out of character that made both me and the Mrs say, "huh?". I was going to see this in the theater a couple of times. Glad I didn't.

Mistress America-B
Reviewers have now overrated Noah Baumbach/Greta Gerwig collaborations 3 times IMO, Greenberg, Frances Ha and now this. It was OK, but nothing great. Some very funny moments. At least it was different.

Both films ended like the directors didn't know how to end them. I guess they intentionally didn't want to wrap everything up nice and neat.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:09 am

Nightmare on Elm St-F

With Wes Craven's recent death Fresh Air replayed some interviews with him. He sounded like a reasonable, and reasonably bright, guy so I thought I'd check out some of his work. Pretty bad. I started Last House on the Left, but since it just sounds like over the top violence, gore and mayhem I never got that far into it. I will say that the acting in the first 10 minutes was pretty awful and the writing not much better.

I may try Scream since it sounds like it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but, damn, Nightmare was a waste of time and Last House was promising more of the same only worse.

Full disclosure--> Not a horror flick fan in general.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SamAxe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:27 am

Walt Before Mickey - A-

Wife and I were at Downtown Disney to catch a movie since it was free thanks to MyCokeRewards.com. This movie was an exclusive showing there, although I believe it's going nationwide at some point in the near future. Wife and I are huge Disney fans (and I work for them), but even with the bias I can say that it was a pretty decent film. Realizing how rough Walt Disney started out gives some perspective on just how far he went to create the biggest media company in the world.
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
-- Paul Valéry, 1895
SamAxe
Starter

Postby elprof » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:54 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Nightmare on Elm St-F

With Wes Craven's recent death Fresh Air replayed some interviews with him. He sounded like a reasonable, and reasonably bright, guy so I thought I'd check out some of his work. Pretty bad. I started Last House on the Left, but since it just sounds like over the top violence, gore and mayhem I never got that far into it. I will say that the acting in the first 10 minutes was pretty awful and the writing not much better.

I may try Scream since it sounds like it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but, damn, Nightmare was a waste of time and Last House was promising more of the same only worse.

Yes, it's terrible but context matters. I saw it in the theater when it came out during my freshman year of college. A buddy and I took our dates to see it and it scared them to death. We then of course drove to Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Rome afterward and made sure they were even more scared. Effective technique.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:51 pm

elprof wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:Nightmare on Elm St-F

Yes, it's terrible but context matters. I saw it in the theater when it came out during my freshman year of college. A buddy and I took our dates to see it and it scared them to death. We then of course drove to Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Rome afterward and made sure they were even more scared. Effective technique.

Well, you made better use of it than I did.

Vertigo-A
I liked it, but a couple of lists have it as best ever and not sure I'd go that far. A retired guy stalking Kim Novak in a suit? Not sure what direction that would take nowadays.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:50 am

Sicario-A+

Gritty and violent. A great snapshot of the War on Drugs, the mess at the Mexican-American border and some of the gray areas that both entail. All of the acting is good, but Benicio Del Toro is GREAT. If you like dark, violent, gritty and timely, get there! It's an example of why I make the effort to go to theaters.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Two ESPN 30 for 30's

One older one: Tim Richmond, To The Limit

One newer one: Angry Sky

Both were top notch.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:Sicario-A+

Gritty and violent. A great snapshot of the War on Drugs, the mess at the Mexican-American border and some of the gray areas that both entail. All of the acting is good, but Benicio Del Toro is GREAT. If you like dark, violent, gritty and timely, get there! It's an example of why I make the effort to go to theaters.

Really? Honestly, I thought it was a C at best.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:14 pm

The Walk - B+

Took my older child. I love that they're hitting the age where I can take them to stuff like this. Now we need to watch Man On Wire for comparison's sake.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:43 am

juansamuel wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:Sicario-A+

Really? Honestly, I thought it was a C at best.

I loved it.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 am

The Martian - B+

Pretty much followed the book. A breezy 2 hours.

One of my guilty movie pleasures is when the control room goes nuts after something good happens in a movie like this. It's always cheesy and I always love it.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Spotlight-A+ Just a tremendously well written and acted telling of a truly ugly story. I'll be surprised if there aren't multiple Oscar nominations out of this.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Beasts of No Nation: A+ It's about as horrifying as you would expect a really well-done movie about a battalion of child soldiers would be.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Boogie Nights - A+ How did I not watch this before now. The music is the bomb, the sets and clothes are dripping 80s. The cast is ridonculous - Julianne Moore and Heather Graham are hawt, burt reynolds is sleazy/funny, Mark Walberg and John C. Riley are prototypes of their eventual usual selves, Don Cheadle and Philip Seymore Hoffman
cheapseats
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:13 pm

juansamuel wrote:Beasts of No Nation: A+ It's about as horrifying as you would expect a really well-done movie about a battalion of child soldiers would be.

You should watch the VICE documentaries about Liberia -
Vive guide to Liberia http://www.vice.com/video/the-vice-guide-to-liberia-1
Butt Naked in Liberia http://www.vice.com/video/butt-naked-in-liberia
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Casino Royale-B+

Not a huge fan of the Bond franchise, but I've been wanting to try this since it had kind of a different tone. Definitely liked it better than the tongue-in-cheek, we're all in on the joke, Roger Moore version, but just not in my wheelhouse. Cool scenery.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:55 am

Creed A+ times infinity

Stallone for best supporting actor
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Jessica Jones on Netflix. Solid A. Best comix TV/Film that I can remember seeing in a long time.

Setup for New Avengers with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, etc. Seriously dark, far more reality than most comix stuff (and a good bit of sexy time). Jones played by Krysten Ritter, Jess's heroin overdosing girlfriend from Breaking Bad, Mike Colter is a solid Luke Cage (with his own netflix series in production), Carrie Moss from The Matrix as a lesbian, apex predator lawyer and David Tenant as Kilgrave (Purple Man).

cheapseats
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Music, Movies