Black Sails....

Entertainment Forum

Black Sails....

Postby Ridge Runner » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm actually kind of late with this as the show has finished its second season, but any fans out there? It's on Starz and it's a series about the Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean in the early 1700's. It mixes some good action sequences with behind the scenes rivalries, power struggles and intrigues. It also mixes real historical figures with characters from fiction (namely Robert Louis Stephenson's Treasure Island). I found it totally engrossing.
Ridge Runner
Rookie

Re: Black Sails....

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:56 am

I haven't seen it, but have watched 3 new shows lately.

The Comedians-Billy Crystal and Josh Gad in a mockumentary about a show starring an old and a young comedian. Started off a little uneven, but I thought really hit its stride in the second half of the year. I had never heard of Josh Gad, but he is pretty funny. FX did a horrible job promoting it, I only became aware of it when it had two episodes left. Last I read they hadn't decided whether to renew or not. I hope they do. Zany supporting characters, especially their producer, really add to it as well.

Ballers-Starring The Rock as a retired ballplayer trying to become an agent/financial advisor. Had promise I thought, but so far, no.

True Detective-Really, really dark. I didn't know if I was going to make it through the second episode, but now I'm hooked. It's a godawful, modern-day, noir-ish mess. I'm looking forward to seeing how it clarifies itself. Great cast and Vince Vaughn does a really good turn as a thug.

So I have something to watch after the Braves trade Maybin.

phpBB [video]
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Re: Black Sails....

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 am

True Detective Season 2-Finally slogged through it. Just. Too. Much. Way too many plot lines and a lot of unbelievable plot changes. Too bad. I like the actors and it could have been much more. It was taking me two or three attempts to get through the last several episodes so no matter how much I wanted to like it I just couldn't. Very, very, very dark.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Return to TV, Music, Movies