TeeVee Thread

Entertainment Forum

TeeVee Thread

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 pm

I didn't want to hijack the Walking Dead thread, so this is for TeeVee generally, but so I can address specifically:

The Leftovers-I thought that the pilot was stellar, A+, but it's been a lot harder for me to get into subsequent episodes. The second episode took a couple of sittings. Actually 4. I'm about halfway through the third. It may end up being too dark.

Question-Continue? Move on?

Please no spoilers and feel free to discuss your other stories in here as well.

Football season wreaks absolute havoc on my regular tv watching, not to mention my reading. I could have used an intervention on Saturday.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Re: TeeVee Thread

Postby juansamuel » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:36 pm

I say continue. I think it's a fantastic show, but most people I've talked to about it don't really like it that much.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 pm

New season of Fargo started a little bit ago, but I've only watched the first episode so far. It didn't disappoint. I think it might be interesting for someone that didn't watch the first season to watch the seasons in reverse order.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Big thumbs up to both Leftovers and Fargo.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby misterjingo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 pm

How does Fargo the series compare to the movie? I didn't care for the movie so I've been hesitant watching it.
misterjingo
Rookie

Postby elprof » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:20 am

misterjingo wrote:How does Fargo the series compare to the movie? I didn't care for the movie so I've been hesitant watching it.

I only saw the movie once years ago. I think if you watch the first season pilot you'll get a good idea if you'll like the series or not. I hardly even thought of the movie at all while watching the series.

But I am enjoying the second season (which is set in 1979) even more than the first.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm

misterjingo wrote:How does Fargo the series compare to the movie? I didn't care for the movie so I've been hesitant watching it.

Similar in mood - VERY dark humor, very high body count. You might really freak someone out watching it with someone you don't know by laughing nearly uncontrollably at something that they find super creepy and disturbing. The TV show allows a bigger cast, with more subplots. Billy Bob Thornton is better in the TV show than anyone in the movie.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:45 pm

cheapseats wrote:

Similar in mood - VERY dark humor, very high body count. You might really freak someone out watching it with someone you don't know by laughing nearly uncontrollably at something that they find super creepy and disturbing. The TV show allows a bigger cast, with more subplots. Billy Bob Thornton is better in the TV show than anyone in the movie.

elprof wrote:

I only saw the movie once years ago. I think if you watch the first season pilot you'll get a good idea if you'll like the series or not. I hardly even thought of the movie at all while watching the series.

But I am enjoying the second season (which is set in 1979) even more than the first.

I too thought the movie was overrated, though it's been a lot of years, I might not think so now. Have heard nothing but good things about the teevee show. May have to try it.

Unless New Mexico Southeastern A&M vs Utah Tech is on.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:57 am

The second season of Fargo is becoming one of my favorite seasons of ANY teevee show.

Nick Offerman just stole an episode with one of the most bizarre and amazing performances I've ever seen.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby THEbrickwall » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Watched the pilot for Homeland. Interesting. Worth another couple of episodes for sure.

Sent from my typewriter.
Hotty Toddy!
THEbrickwall
All Pro

Postby chad kilroy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 am

Black Panthers : Vanguard of The Revolution - PBS documentary

Solid A

I learned a lot and even though Elaine Brown has denounced it because it makes Huey Newton look bad and she's a Newton person, it's very well done. I was shocked they could get so many old policemen and FBI guys on because they look so horrible for what they did to Fred Hampton and others. The biggest thing I took away was how brave the women were in the movement, like Elaine Brown and Peaches Moore. Must see, imo.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby juansamuel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Baskets- This is probably my favorite show on TV right now. Zach Galifianakis stars as a rodeo clown living with his mother, who is played brilliantly by Louie Anderson.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Veep - lololol
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:17 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Veep - lololol

very much so.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:00 pm

NSU German History X- it's on Netflix right now and I think it's very well done. It's basically a miniseries in 3 parts. Part 1 is the story told from the side of Skinheads that eventually commit murders on a number of German citizens of Turkish descent. Part 2 shows the side of the story from one of the victim's families. The 3rd part is from the side of the police. I was riveted to it over the course of Saturday and Sunday.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am

I finally started watching Jessica Jones and I have to say it's really good television.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm

juansamuel wrote:I finally started watching Jessica Jones and I have to say it's really good television.

It's excellent, better than the comic, imo. The newest season of Daredevil is great, too. They cast the Punisher perfectly.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

designated survivor.....

Postby Ridge Runner » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:40 pm

anybody watching that? saw the first two episodes and it's pretty entertaining IMO.
Ridge Runner
Rookie

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:49 pm

The Night Manager - B+

Good, not great.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Black Mirror is my current my favorite show on the Netflix. Sardonic wit, clever scripts and a cynical but much needed view on technology and we are doing to ourselves with it. The Bryce Dallas Howard Nosedive episode is a must see.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby juansamuel » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:18 pm

chad kilroy wrote:Black Mirror is my current my favorite show on the Netflix. Sardonic wit, clever scripts and a cynical but much needed view on technology and we are doing to ourselves with it. The Bryce Dallas Howard Nosedive episode is a must see.

I do like it, but I can't watch more than one at a time. There's just too much mental fuckery that happens in each episode.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 pm

juansamuel wrote:
chad kilroy wrote:Black Mirror is my current my favorite show on the Netflix. Sardonic wit, clever scripts and a cynical but much needed view on technology and we are doing to ourselves with it. The Bryce Dallas Howard Nosedive episode is a must see.

I do like it, but I can't watch more than one at a time. There's just too much mental fuckery that happens in each episode.

I think that's what I like about it. It's Twilight Zone for our time.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Return to TV, Music, Movies