Watching Movies - 2016

Entertainment Forum

Watching Movies - 2016

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Room - A
Very powerful and disturbing and the acting was a revelation. Highly recommend.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Re: Watching Movies - 2016

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:16 am

The Pink Panther - B+
Had never seen it. Not the laugh riot I was expecting, but some classic sight gags. That seemed to be the point every bit as much as any thought of a plot. Going to work my way through the franchise.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Joe Sieve » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm

I saw The Martian the other day. It was pretty good, but not great. I hadn't really read about it or seen any trailers - it was not what I expected. Nothing wrong per se, but seemed like an Apollo 13/Gravity/Armageddon mashup. The whole time, I was just thinking "I have seen all this before."
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby cheapseats » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:The Pink Panther - B+
Had never seen it. Not the laugh riot I was expecting, but some classic sight gags. That seemed to be the point every bit as much as any thought of a plot. Going to work my way through the franchise.

The Steve Martin one? I was sad that the Clouseau accidentally wiping out cyclists running gag stopped part way through.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:58 pm

cheapseats wrote:

The Steve Martin one? I was sad that the Clouseau accidentally wiping out cyclists running gag stopped part way through.

The original.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
cheapseats wrote:

The original.

Been a while since I've seen that one.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:50 pm

cheapseats wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:
cheapseats wrote:

The original.

Been a while since I've seen that one.

Is the Steve Martin one good? It's one of those movies that got hammered by the critics, but not the fans. I'm game.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby SLAYER666 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 am

Unfriended - B

Stuck in a hotel, free HBO, and this was on so I watched it.

Perfectly acceptable thriller/horror flick. It takes place 100% from the viewpoint of a teenager's laptop as she IM's/DM's/Facebooks/Skypes etc. with her friends, which was an interesting concept. Worth a watch.
SLAYER666
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:28 am

Brooklyn-A/A-
Very good, although bordering on saccharine. No boobies or shit blowing up, but the acting was very good. Felt like it was a little bit sanitized. Seems kind of slight for Best Movie and Best Actress nominations, but it and she were very good. Good date night movie. Wish I had had a date.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 pm

A Shot in the Dark-A-
Better than The Pink Panther imo. Clouseau takes the goofiness to the next level. There was actually a plot and the ending was hilarious.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:Is the Steve Martin one good? It's one of those movies that got hammered by the critics, but not the fans. I'm game.

It had it's moments as I remember. But Martin is kind of doing a Clouseau imitation and adding Kevin Klein as his boss was terrible casting. Adding a second brit with the fake accent kind of ruins the joke. Drama or comedy Jean Reno is always awesome.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Anomolisa - B- A very flawed movie that I'm trying to give a real rating instead of penalizing for how disappointing it is given it's pedigree and the amazing reviews I've seen (that would be more like a C-). Trying to do this stop motion was bold - at times the stop motion works well (the body models are startlingly realistic). But far too often I was distracted by the lines on the faces (the foreheads and lower faces are separate pieces, switched to do emotion/speech), This was particularly bad in closeup, when trying to be emotive and I was all too aware of the horizontal lines left by the 3D printer. Making it worse still are the clothes (made from real cloth) moving around continuously because they were bumped while changing the face, while the body wasn't moving. When it worked well, it worked very well, but jumping in and out of disbelief made the characters overall far less "real" than wallace and grommit. Also puppet sex was already done in Team America.

Making it worse, all the people in the film, other than the protagonist and the girl, Lisa (Jennifer Jason Leigh), use the same face and are voiced by the same actor. There is a disease The Fregoli Delusion where people think all others are the same person (like the scene in Being John Malkovick). The hotel the protagonist checks into is the Hotel Fregoli. Bonus points if you knew that, otherwise you had to suffer through an amazingly pretentious, disorienting device to understand the protagonist. but that is ALL the background you'll ever get about him or why he is the way he is.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is flat out amazing. Her character is stunningly human, despite the oddness in execution. Which makes it all the worse that the protagonists story is terribly uninteresting as it plays out. He's a self-important dick, with nothing interesting to say, for whom no one else is real. fadeout, roll credits.

For an artsy film, it also suffers the terrible summer comedy failing of having all it's best bits in the trailer. I'm thinking I'd have liked it much better on netflix where the stop motion wouldn't have been as glaring, but even with real actors, the story is just not there.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Cortez the Killer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Joe Sieve wrote:I saw The Martian the other day. It was pretty good, but not great. I hadn't really read about it or seen any trailers - it was not what I expected. Nothing wrong per se, but seemed like an Apollo 13/Gravity/Armageddon mashup. The whole time, I was just thinking "I have seen all this before."

you know what's funny? we just got back from seeing The Revenant - I thought the exact same thing. I told my wife afterward, it was pretty good but it was like the "every few years" gritty Western that comes out to much acclaim, e.g. Unforgiven, True Grit (Coen Brothers version,) Django Unchained, etc. Out of all those, I would say the Coen Brothers remake of True Grit is the best.

The Revenant was very violent, very gory...no characters who were remotely likeable in the film were kept alive or in the case of Leonardo Dicaprio...SPOILER ALERT....tortured and put through hell for the entire movie. The plot was very formulaic up to and including someone's life getting spared in the end because they had inadvertently saved a random person. Dicaprio's performance was really good if you think that playing someone in physical pain and agony for 2 hours is good acting. I don't know - it was fine but not that great.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby cheapseats » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Deadpool - A crude, offensive, violent and funny as hell. they wife doesn't care for super hero/action movies at all. love it. just go see the fucking thing already. huge props to ryan reynolds for sticking to his guns for a decade to get it made right.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:50 pm

cheapseats wrote:Deadpool - A crude, offensive, violent and funny as hell. they wife doesn't care for super hero/action movies at all. love it. just go see the fucking thing already. huge props to ryan reynolds for sticking to his guns for a decade to get it made right.

So many people are saying this. I'll have to check it out soon.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
cheapseats wrote:Deadpool - A crude, offensive, violent and funny as hell. they wife doesn't care for super hero/action movies at all. love it. just go see the fucking thing already. huge props to ryan reynolds for sticking to his guns for a decade to get it made right.

So many people are saying this. I'll have to check it out soon.

A

I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a while. Will definitely see again, maybe even in the theater.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Joe Sieve » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:30 am

Hail Caesar! - meh.
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:48 am

Joe Sieve wrote:Hail Caesar! - meh.

I was all set to see this on opening night and started to hear/read this very thing. Too bad. Seemed like it had potential.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:31 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:

I was all set to see this on opening night and started to hear/read this very thing. Too bad. Seemed like it had potential.

And yet you might really enjoy it.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 am

elprof wrote:
Hoosier Fan wrote:

And yet you might really enjoy it.

Oh, I'll watch it some day. I get a little worried when I see really high Critics ratings and really low Audience ratings. You're right,
I just might watch this and say hey I really liked that. I just like to mitigate the risk when I drop $9+ at the theater.

Some day when it hits HBO or Netflix, I'll watch it.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:11 pm

Hail Ceasar - It was solid. But the depth of the funny is very dependent on how well you know and like the hollywood's 40's-early 50s movies. Channing Tatum's homo-erotic "No Dames" musical number alone was worth the price of admission if you've seen enough of those old WWII musicals to get the joke. The aquamusical scene with Scarlet Johansen was perfectly shot and choreographed - something that hasn't been done in 50 years. And it was all a lead up to the big joke of her real personality compared to the movie version.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Joe Sieve » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 pm

cheapseats wrote:
The aquamusical scene with Scarlet Johansen was perfectly shot and choreographed - something that hasn't been done in 50 years.

I can't imagine why.
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby elprof » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:34 pm

cheapseats wrote:But the depth of the funny is very dependent on how well you know and like the hollywood's 40's-early 50s movies.

If anyone would know that...
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Joe Sieve » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 pm

I watched The Drop the other day on cable, and I thought it was a really good movie (and sadly, Gandolfini's last). Not great, or an A+, or whatever, but damn good. Some would ding it for being slow-paced, and I get that. If Taken 1/2/3 and the like is your sweet spot, you probably won't like it too much.
Joe Sieve
Starter

Postby cheapseats » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Joe Sieve wrote:
cheapseats wrote:
The aquamusical scene with Scarlet Johansen was perfectly shot and choreographed - something that hasn't been done in 50 years.

I can't imagine why.

They were boxoffice magic back in the day. Not really any different than a super bowl half time show I guess.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:57 am

cheapseats wrote:

Hail Ceasar - It was solid. But the depth of the funny is very dependent on how well you know and like the hollywood's 40's-early 50s movies. Channing Tatum's homo-erotic "No Dames" musical number alone was worth the price of admission if you've seen enough of those old WWII musicals to get the joke. The aquamusical scene with Scarlet Johansen was perfectly shot and choreographed - something that hasn't been done in 50 years. And it was all a lead up to the big joke of her real personality compared to the movie version.

Somewhere between these two. I appreciate the craftsmanship, but can't say it moved me much. Probably the next movie I saw after Deadpool was going to fare badly anyway.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Hoosier Fan wrote:
cheapseats wrote:

Somewhere between these two. I appreciate the craftsmanship, but can't say it moved me much. Probably the next movie I saw after Deadpool was going to fare badly anyway.

I went the opposite direction. Hail Ceasar one weekend, with deadpool the next. I'm glad I saw both, but I'd only recommend deadpool unreservedly (well to people over 16).
cheapseats
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:11 pm

I have to join in on the chorus for Deadpool. I saw it last night and thought it was a damn near perfect movie. It's the funniest movie I've seen since Stepbrothers and just so fucking entertaining otherwise.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:28 am

Notorious - A
Liked this a lot better than Vertigo where I was just sitting there thinking why are they doing that? Really good tension at the end. Definitely my favorite Hitchcock as of right now. Got a couple more in the queue.

The Hitchcock jag is because I'm reading Hitchcock/Truffaut, a book made from a week long series of interviews, more like conversations, about Hitchcock's work.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:01 pm

We Need to Talk about Kevin- A
Kevin reminded me of Elliot Rodger, the kid that shot up Santa Barbara a couple of years ago. Tilda Swinton does a phenomenal job in this film. It probably goes without saying, but don't watch this if you're feeling shitty already.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby cheapseats » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:07 pm

we gave up on that thing after 30 minutes of nothing happening.
cheapseats
Legend

Postby juansamuel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:18 am

cheapseats wrote:we gave up on that thing after 30 minutes of nothing happening.

Seems like a reasonable decision. If I was in a certain mood, I would have probably done the same.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Cortez the Killer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I watched 3 movies last weekend:

Taken - B+ for entertaining assassin revenge movie.

Specter - B+ for entertaining James Bond spy movie.

White House Down - F this was one of those USA weekend movies where part of the commercial time is interviewing the cast or showing how stunts were done or special effects were created. I would not have spent $100 to produce this movie much less the millions that they sunk to blow up everything in Washington DC. Jamie Foxx was President and when the going got tough, he put on his Air Jordans hahahaha. If I had a hand grenade, I would have rolled it on to that set and gladly sacrificed myself just to rid the world of those people from ever making a movie again.
Cortez the Killer
Legend

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:11 am

As You Like It - A
National Theatre Live special event. I got a little tipsy because they sell wine at theaters now, but I know the play so it didn't matter much. I'm not a HUGE fan of putting his plays in modern settings, but this worked fine. Willie was pretty good with the words and his female characters are great. Missed a lot of basketball because it's only playing twice, but it was worth it.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:17 am

Psycho - A- Creepy.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:24 pm

Trainwreck- B
It had quite a few genuine laugh out loud moments. Amy Schumer was very good, but John Cena’s character arc was probably the funniest part of the movie. Bill Hader’s character –who is usually hilarious- could have been played by anyone at all.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 pm

juansamuel wrote:Trainwreck- B
It had quite a few genuine laugh out loud moments. Amy Schumer was very good, but John Cena’s character arc was probably the funniest part of the movie. Bill Hader’s character –who is usually hilarious- could have been played by anyone at all.

Pretty much this, but I might have given it a little higher grade. Lots of laugh out loud moments imo.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:26 am

Don't ask me why but I watched Terms of Endearment for the first time yesterday afternoon. Holy shit what a tear jerker. It got real dusty in my living room at the end of that movie. Plus I was chopping up an onion. I was depressed the rest of the day. I have not gone through that much tissue since I was 15.

It's a good movie though even though it probably falls in the chick flick category.

B+

Edit: Debra Winger was cute back in the day
Millwood
All Pro

Postby juansamuel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Millwood wrote:Don't ask me why but I watched Terms of Endearment for the first time yesterday afternoon. Holy shit what a tear jerker. It got real dusty in my living room at the end of that movie. Plus I was chopping up an onion. I was depressed the rest of the day. I have not gone through that much tissue since I was 15.

It's a good movie though even though it probably falls in the chick flick category.

B+

Terms of Endearment is one that I'll always affix myself to the couch for if it comes on the TV.

Yeah, I love Debra Winger. Although the show is horrible, I still think she looks good in The Ranch on Netflix.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:03 pm

juansamuel wrote:
Millwood wrote:Don't ask me why but I watched Terms of Endearment for the first time yesterday afternoon. Holy shit what a tear jerker. It got real dusty in my living room at the end of that movie. Plus I was chopping up an onion. I was depressed the rest of the day. I have not gone through that much tissue since I was 15.

B+

Terms of Endearment is one that I'll always affix myself to the couch for if it comes on the TV.

Yeah, I love Debra Winger. Although the show is horrible, I still think she looks good in The Ranch on Netflix.

After these two posts I hope you and I are well stocked on vag cream.
Millwood
All Pro

Postby misterjingo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 pm

OJ: Made in America-A+

7.5 hours and I didn't want it to end. I was skeptical when I first saw a commercial for it-I had no interest in the trial, I didn't see the TV show that just came out, etc.

It is much much more than the trial. Paints the picture of LA, OJ, the LAPD from the 60s up to the trial to give a complete picture.
misterjingo
Rookie

Postby juansamuel » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:38 pm

misterjingo wrote:OJ: Made in America-A+

7.5 hours and I didn't want it to end. I was skeptical when I first saw a commercial for it-I had no interest in the trial, I didn't see the TV show that just came out, etc.

It is much much more than the trial. Paints the picture of LA, OJ, the LAPD from the 60s up to the trial to give a complete picture.

I haven't watched Part 5 yet, but so far it's worth every bit of the attention it has received. You just get every bit of context. Some sports guy over the weekend was saying how there were a lot of unnecessary details. I just couldn't disagree more with. Everything is woven together perfectly.

Now there was one person on there that stated society was responsible for OJ. I disagree with statement. It's pretty obvious that early on, OJ made the decision that he was going to be someone that rejected the race construct for how he was going to live his life.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:48 am

Eye in the Sky - A
What it's cracked up to be with a really, really stellar cast.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:19 am

Ghostbusters 1 and 2-- I saw the first one in the theater a couple of weeks ago for the first time ever and I have to say it was very enjoyable. I rented the 2nd one on Amazon yesterday and thought it was nearly as fun.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:16 pm

juansamuel wrote:
misterjingo wrote:OJ: Made in America-A+

I haven't watched Part 5 yet, but so far it's worth every bit of the attention it has received. You just get every bit of context. Some sports guy over the weekend was saying how there were a lot of unnecessary details. I just couldn't disagree more with. Everything is woven together perfectly.

Now there was one person on there that stated society was responsible for OJ. I disagree with statement. It's pretty obvious that early on, OJ made the decision that he was going to be someone that rejected the race construct for how he was going to live his life.

Just finished the last part. Definitely A+. There was a lot there I didn't know. Part 1 was fascinating seeing OJ steal AC's girlfriend and make her his first wife. AC trying to take a bullet for OJ. OJ's dad being gay and how OJ overcompensated for that in his personal life. The way everyone in his life stood up for him and let him get away with everything, no wonder he thought he could get away with murder.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby chad kilroy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Batman V Superman - B. Everyone hates this thing but me and my 12-year-old daughter. Wonder Woman's 7 minutes onscreen were worth it all but I liked Batfleck enough. The way this movie sets up 4 others is what it was supposed to do. It could've been shorter, it could've been less muddled storywise but it works for me. Henry Cavill has finally grown into the role. Can't Wonder Woman stand alone flick and Justice League.

Captain America Civil War - A+. This is maybe the best Marvel movie ever and thus best superhero movie ever. Winter Soldier, First Avenger and the second Iron Man movie were terrific but Civil war worked in every way. The stand alone Black Panther movie should be great. The new take on Spider-Man worked well, Tom Holland fit the part.

X Men Apocalypse - C-. Sucked all around except the action scenes and the ending was okay. The characters are getting tired and you can tell it in most their eyes. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm kind of sick of Jen Lawrence. I think she is too. I don't know if a reboot or recast is in order, but something needs to change. I saw this one week after Civil War, that probably didn't help.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby Hoosier Fan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Ghostbusters - the original - A-/B+ It was fine, but I was never as enamored of it as the rest of the world. Sigourney Weaver was beyond brb in the movie and Bill Murray was, well, you know.

Weaver (after being possessed): I want you inside me.
Murray: Sounds like there are a couple of people in there already.

Also,

Weaver (before being possessed): Are you sure you're a scientist? You seem more like a game show host.

I'll see the new one before the week is out, but wanted to see this one again first.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby elprof » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:30 pm

I saw the original when it came out in a theater on Abercorn Drive in Savannah. I remember enjoying the hell out of it as a teenager.

I saw it many years later as an adult and it was okay. I haven't seen the sequel. Or sequels?

But I am looking forward to the new one. Leslie Jones is hilarious and the rest of the cast is awesome. It might be a dud, but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:46 am

Straight Outta Compton - A
I fact checked it and none of the variations really impacted much except that there didn't seem to be much concern for
Easy E when he got the bug irl and only one of the band members went to his funeral. Plus they say at the end that parts were
fictionalized, soooo....

Anyway, I thought it was really well done overall. Solid acting and a lot of great scenes.

I went and looked at the Best Picture nominations and can see why there was griping that this wasn't on the list. I think the most
glaring example that I would have replaced this with is Brooklyn, which I actually liked, but still.

#thatsracist
#teamwhiteguilt
#oscarsowhite
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Millwood » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:10 am

That's Eazy E biatch!
Last edited by Millwood on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Millwood
All Pro

Next

Return to TV, Music, Movies