Watching Movies - 2016

Entertainment Forum

Re: Watching Movies - 2016

Postby juansamuel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:18 am

Hoosier Fan wrote:Straight Outta Compton - A
I fact checked it and none of the variations really impacted much except that there didn't seem to be much concern for
Easy E when he got the bug irl and only one of the band members went to his funeral. Plus they say at the end that parts were
fictionalized, soooo....

Anyway, I thought it was really well done overall. Solid acting and a lot of great scenes.

I went and looked at the Best Picture nominations and can see why there was griping that this wasn't on the list. I think the most
glaring example that I would have replaced this with is Brooklyn, which I actually liked, but still.

#thatsracist
#teamwhiteguilt
#oscarsowhite

I just watched it as well. It was a fun movie, but it didn't seem worthy of an Oscar nomination. Ice Cube's son was good, but the acting wasn't overall oustanding. Paul Giamatti was in scenery-chewing mode. The timeline was incongruous from what I understand.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby juansamuel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:04 am

Ant-Man: I thought it was very enjoyable. It had a lot of good laughs. Honey I Shrunk the Kids was one of my favorite movies as a kid and this brought some of the nostalgia of that back.
juansamuel
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Ghostbusters - A-/B+
Lots of lol moments. Melissa McCarthy was funnier than I expected and Kate McKinnon is a comedy goddess, but it could have been a lot more. Funny cameos.
Last edited by Hoosier Fan on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There you go. Givin' a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck." - Bunk
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Ghostbusters (the Lady one) - B+ I don't know why it's not making cash. It's funnier than the dude one. Kate McKinnon is a star and Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy were great.

Suicide Squad - B I enjoyed it and Mrs. Kilroy doesn't like superhero movies much, liked it even more than me. Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was excellent.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby Hoosier Fan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 pm

chad kilroy wrote:Ghostbusters (the Lady one) - B+ I don't know why it's not making cash. It's funnier than the dude one. Kate McKinnon is a star and Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy were great.

Outside of Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver saying, "I want you inside of me.", I thought the original was pretty meh and would put it on my overrated list if there weren't so many other great options. Kate McKinnon is a mad genius and Wiig and McCarthy, both of whom I can usually take or leave, were quite good. Leslie Jones just makes me laugh. I see that they're at about $180 million. Is that failure?

I don't care, I liked it and will watch again when it's available at home. Most of my favorite musicians don't make a lot of dough either. With one notable exception.

Suicide Squad - B I enjoyed it and Mrs. Kilroy doesn't like superhero movies much, liked it even more than me. Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn was excellent.

So, sorry, I put my principles on the deck after juan and I discussed in another thread and re-watched Manhattan. A++. He is a most imperfect vessel, but that is great moviemaking imo.

Also just re-watched Grand Canyon. I remember watching it in the theater and I was entranced. I thought it was brilliant. Still do and sadly the themes are still relevant today. A++
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby Hoosier Fan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:37 am

Hell or High Water - A++
I haven't seen a whole ton of movies this year, but this is easily the best. All I know about Chris Pine is that he is Captain Kirk in the Star Trek franchise, but he is outstanding as is his brother played by Ben Foster about whom I knew even less, though I apparently did see him in Alpha Dog which I really liked. And Jeff Bridges.

Go see it now.
Hoosier Fan
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Fantastic Beasts - B

Katherine Waterston, Sam's daughter, is a star. I liked the 1920s New York setting. If you liked any of the Harry Potter flicks, you'll like this one.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Postby elprof » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:33 pm

chad kilroy wrote:Fantastic Beasts - B

Katherine Waterston, Sam's daughter, is a star. I liked the 1920s New York setting. If you liked any of the Harry Potter flicks, you'll like this one.

I'd go with A-

It set the stage nicely for the upcoming series.
Virtually everything GOP critics have told us would follow from the policies put in place has not come to pass. You would think that this would occasion a few mea culpas, some rethinking, an admission of poor prognostication. But, alas, it continues.
elprof
Hall of Smack

Postby chad kilroy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:44 pm

I highly recommend Hip Hop Evolution - documentary currently on the Netflix. I learned a lot. It covers Kool Herc's Party in 1973 and ends with Dre's G Thang LP in 1993. Brilliant 4 episodes. Watch it.
I was here.
chad kilroy
All Pro

Previous

Return to TV, Music, Movies